No announcement yet.

Problem with setting up X-10 devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To make matters worse, on the tab "configuration" there appears a "helpful" display available codes tab, I guess most people feel that's the place to fill in the house code. But no, if you do that the device doesn't work and you have to start over and use the "X10" tab, like you said.
    Bottom line: don't ever touch the configuration tab!
    I (politely) pointed out the stupidity of this design when the first HS3 beta was introduced, never got a reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
      I didn't think that any issues with X-10 are related to RF X-10 like the MS13a.
      I handle RF X-10 with the RFXCOM plugin without issue.

I too had issues with X-10 when I started, but have since resolved by adding them correctly. I also use a TI103 so I'm not sure if they behave better or I'm just lucky..

Robert
      I too am using the ti-103 and I was using BLRF plugin.

on the x10 side regardless of RF or X10... the Status only device check mark will break the device... 100% of the time and need to be deleted and recreated.
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by WfromL View Post
        never got a reaction.

I did in PM stating they dont make $ on selling x10 hardware so they arent worried about any issues (I am not starting an arguement so please dont take it as one).... I mentioned well if many people have a lot of x10 devices they will not be upgrading seeing all the issues we are having. No upgrade on HS then also means no new/upgrade purchases on plugins thus they are loosing money. I was told they will look into it but that is where it stopped...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I completely agree. What should have taken me maybe a day has taken entire week. I've built an entire HS2 machine with 250+ devices and 100+ events in less time than it has taken to figure out how to trick HS3 into letting me add devices that work!

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          In my experience - repeated yesterday as I was trying to create some test devices - the first and most frustrating obstacle is that when first adding a new device, the device often does not display for further editing. Instead, it is buried in the device list with floor/room of Unknown/Unknown.
          Often. It shouldn't be "often." It should be binary. It either does or it doesn't. I think the inconsistency of X10 related device creation is what makes my head explode.

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          Have any of you seen other problems creating a new X10 device?
          That would be assuming I have created devices that work and I've gotten past that part!

Seriously though, the ones that work, WORK! The X10 RF for motion detectors, security devices works well, too. I'm still just baffled that some codes just don't work.

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
          FYI I have the same problem. Always have with HS3... I dont get it and I have so many X10 devices that I cant afford to replace them all and also juggling x10 codes around could work BUT I have a standard I use..

10 is for lights
          15/16 is for MS13a's

I have 10 x 23890w togglelinc 2 way switches and 19 ms13a motion sensors. For me to go zwave with it all would not be cheap nor approved by the wife...

some will work and others wont. I will then set a code I know works in my house for one of those and it works... frustrating......
          I hear ya! I had to ditch my standard..... I just spent the entire yearly HA budget on HST Z-Wave switches (and they are awesome!) but there are MANY places in my home that do not have a neutral wire in the box. I HAVE to use X10 for those or spend probably another $100 a pop to rewire the switch. ...and they HAVE TO WORK or WAF will drop. In the past two weeks WAF is at an all time low. At some point I either have to get it working or I ditch HS3 and go back to HS2 forever.

Slow deep breath. Slowly exhale. Proceed.......
          Last edited by outbackrob; June 7, 2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Finally bit the bullet

Originally posted by zguy View Post
            So 85$ for the receiver + 40$ for the plugin = 125$ US = approx 185$ CA + customs fess and taxes, I'll be closing somewhere around 250$

That looks expensive to replace something that should be working.

Is the BLRF (20$ US) as good? What about the free SimpleRF? If find the price difference (0 - 20 - 40) a bit odd for achieving the same purpose.
            Finally bought 2 of them (second for backup when the 1st one fails) on Amazon from Home Controls USA (I'm done giving my money to HS for a buggy product with no docs and support and a user interface that predates Windows 2.0, not to mention a failed upgrade path and letting lots of X10 users stranded with no solution.). About 325$CA landed to my door. Installed the Simple RF plugin.

I wish WGL mentioned you need to have the VB 6.0 runtime for their rf.exe test utility. Took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working as the VB runtime isn't preloaded anymore on Windows since Win 2008.

Preliminary results are not so bad. Tested several house and unit codes and all worked. And fast. I was surprised with that part.

But the DIM and BRIGHT commands are acting strange. I've setup a Palm Pad on house code P. Pressing any of the ON/OFF switches works as expected. But the dim switches always comes back with P4 and the bright switch always comes back with P3.

Jul-03 22:31:19 SimpleRF Received X-10 Message from Receiver 1: P3 BRIGHT
            Jul-03 22:31:13 SimpleRF Received X-10 Message from Receiver 1: P4 DIM
            Jul-03 22:31:04 SimpleRF Received X-10 Message from Receiver 1: P6 ON
            Jul-03 22:30:16 SimpleRF Received X-10 Message from Receiver 1: P3 BRIGHT
            Jul-03 22:30:04 SimpleRF Received X-10 Message from Receiver 1: P4 DIM
            Jul-03 22:29:50 SimpleRF Received X-10 Message from Receiver 1: P7 ON

I have similar behaviours with 2 remote SS13A wall switches set on C1-2-3 and C4-5-6. DIM returns C4 and BRIGHT returns C3 on both.
            The pattern seems to be the device house code + unit code 4 for DIM and unit code 3 for BRIGHT.

Is this caused by the SimpleRF plugin? Are the other RF X10 plugin acting the same?

I'm aware the X10 protocole ignores the house-unit code and uses the last ON received for the DIM and BRIGHT commands. Yet this feels a bit strange.

Comment

But the DIM and BRIGHT commands are acting strange. I've setup a Palm Pad on house code P. Pressing any of the ON/OFF switches works as expected. But the dim switches always comes back with P4 and the bright switch always comes back with P3.

I have similar behaviours with 2 remote SS13A wall switches set on C1-2-3 and C4-5-6. DIM returns C4 and BRIGHT returns C3 on both.
              The pattern seems to be the device house code + unit code 4 for DIM and unit code 3 for BRIGHT.

Is this caused by the SimpleRF plugin? Are the other RF X10 plugin acting the same?
              This is probably a question best asked on the SimpleRF forum.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

In the device setup, CM15A tab, the select box for the device type is not showing. Also the tab is named CM15A instead of X10.
                The tab is named CM15A because you are using a CM15A hardware interface (it is named "X10" in the other X10 plugin which is for the CM11A and Ti103 hardware).

The "Device Type" drop-down issue as been addressed in beta v3.0.0.9, which can be downloaded from here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1278047.

Please let me know how it works for you.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                X