HS3 and X10 nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 and X10 nightmare

OK so HS3 does not like X10, pitty as that is the original HA protocal and I still use a lot.

Log excerpt
    Aug-21 23:44:19
    X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
    Aug-21 23:44:13
    Aug-21 23:44:10
    Event Event Trigger "Kitchen Lights On By Sensor" Aug-21 23:44:05 X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
    Aug-21 23:44:00
    Z-Wave Device: Node 5 Z-Wave Power Set to 0 (W) Aug-21 23:44:00 X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
    Aug-21 23:43:59
    Z-Wave Device: Node 5 Z-Wave Watts Set to 0 (0 Watts)
    Aug-21 23:43:57
    Event Event Trigger "Kitchen Lights On By Sensor" Aug-21 23:43:53 Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave LR Wall Lights Power Set to 190.317 (W)
    Aug-21 23:43:53
    Z-Wave Device: Node 4 Z-Wave LR Wall Lights Watts Set to 190.317 (190.317 Watts)
    Aug-21 23:43:49
    Aug-21 23:43:44
    Aug-21 23:43:41
    ECHO Echo for Dining Phone Sensor, No Echo (2 mins, 1 secs)
    Aug-21 23:43:38
    Aug-21 23:43:33
    Aug-21 23:43:30
    Event Event Trigger "Kitchen Lights On By Sensor" Aug-21 23:43:27 X10 WARNING CM11A Possible no response to send data, still waiting
    Aug-21 23:43:22
    This goes on all day and X10 devices do not respond for about 15 to 20 mins.

All my christmas lights are X10, I wonder whether to revert to HS2, which I do not wish to do as HS3 is now showing it's benifits. The above log is just after a restart.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Or maybe you can run the X10 plugin in Linux on an RPi2 and maybe it'll work with your Windows configuration. Well if it doesn't; it could be a little tweaking to the plugin that might fix it such that it'll talk to windows.

Here have kept my Christmas lighting to X10. Very fast to set up and I set one house code for the entire house. That and test it outside with an old x10 palm pad.

Trying a quickie test with running the X10 plugin on linux and see what it does when it connects to a windows HS3 build remotely.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi Gordon,

Please post X10 issues to the HomeSeer X10 Plugin forum so that we'll see them

What serial interface are you using between your CM11A and PC? Many of the cheap USB-RS232 interfaces are notoriously unreliable and from your log it looks like the plugin is having some difficulties communicating with the CM11A.
      Last edited by mfisher; August 22, 2016, 09:22 AM.
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
        OK so HS3 does not like X10, pitty as that is the original HA protocal and I still use a lot.
        I'm not seeing anything like this in my system. I don't think this is an inherent problem with HS3 or the X10 plug-in. It looks like it might be a communication problem between the computer and the CM11A.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
          Hi Gogs,

Please post this to the HomeSeer X10 Plugin forum so that I'll see them

What serial interface are you using between your CM11A and PC? Many of the cheap USB-RS232 interfaces are notoriously unreliable and from your log it looks like the plugin is having some difficulties communicating with the CM11A.
          It's not a Cm11A but a XTB323, which has worked perfectly for years under HS2
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            I'm not seeing anything like this in my system. I don't think this is an inherent problem with HS3 or the X10 plug-in. It looks like it might be a communication problem between the computer and the CM11A.
            Yes I agree, looking at alternatives for controlling X10.

Don't think me completely mad yet, but, woke up thinking Ocelot or something like that
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah the XTB232 is just a single phase CM11A emulator on steroids.

Here still utilizing the original XTB with a CM11A and the dual phased TW-523 emulator. Old stuff now working fine.

You could check which is at fault here with Microsoft Portmon.

Or turn on console access and watch it chit chat.

The last firmware update to it happened in 2014.

XTB-232 Version History:
              • V1.00/E - Initial Release 09/07/11
              • V1.01/E - Reversed polarity of Ring Indicator output 11/27/11
              • V1.02/E - Ring Indicator asserted for just 1 second after power-up 08/24/12
              • V1.03/E - Resolved a sensitivity problem when used with XPCR and similar Leviton repeater 04/28/13
              • V1.04/E - Improved AGC response to pulsating noise that looks like an X10 command 07/09/13
              • V1.05/E - Improved AGC response to sudden large noise increase 04/03/14
                Known issues: None

A replacement PIC with the latest version can be obtained for $8 US / $13 International via PayPal.
              Please indicate which version you need, and include your mailing address.

You could sniff the serial traffic if you wanted to.

I did test here trying to connect the Linux connected CM11A to a Windows HS3 box. (did a symlink to a com1 device on the Linux box). It connected but errored out.
              Last edited by Pete; August 21, 2016, 08:30 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Yeah the XTB232 is just a single phase CM11A emulator on steroids.

Here still utilizing the original XTB with a CM11A and the dual phased TW-523 emulator. Old stuff now working fine.

The last firmware update to it happened in 2014.

XTB-232 Version History:
                • V1.00/E - Initial Release 09/07/11
                • V1.01/E - Reversed polarity of Ring Indicator output 11/27/11
                • V1.02/E - Ring Indicator asserted for just 1 second after power-up 08/24/12
                • V1.03/E - Resolved a sensitivity problem when used with XPCR and similar Leviton repeater 04/28/13
                • V1.04/E - Improved AGC response to pulsating noise that looks like an X10 command 07/09/13
                • V1.05/E - Improved AGC response to sudden large noise increase 04/03/14
                  Known issues: None

You could sniff the serial traffic if you wanted to.

I did test here trying to connect the Linux connected CM11A to a Windows HS3 box. (did a symlink to a com1 device on the Linux box). It connected but errored out.
                Great Pete, so what do you suggesst to drive it, Insteon?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                  Great Pete, so what do you suggesst to drive it, Insteon?
                  What do you use at the minute to communicate between the XTB-232 and the PC? Is it a USB adapter?

I have the XTB and it works just fine, a good proportion of USB adapters are just rubbish and can easily be damaged - try and find in device manager the chipset yours uses as it could be driver issues. Common chipsets are the PL2303 (problematic due to counterfeit items), CP2102, CH340 to name a few.

Comment

@Adam

Thinking Gordon is using a serial cable (9PIN) from the XTB-232 to the PC (Atom D525 running XP). The Atom D525 is configured with two RS-232 ports plus a Digi Edgeport. I have the identical setup here still running Windows server on Foxconn PC from a few years back.

I set it up remotely a few months back and tested it to work fine with Gordon acking lights going on or off. He is also using one Digi Edgeport there.

I am not sure if this has been changed or if the PC RS-232 port is being used now or the Digi Edgeport is being used.

That said maybe switching from the Digi Edgeport to one of the two serial ports (COM1 & COM2) on the Foxconn might help?
                    Last edited by Pete; August 22, 2016, 12:10 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

@Adam

Thinking Gordon is using a serial cable (9PIN) from the XTB-232 to the PC (Atom D525 running XP). The Atom D525 is configured with two RS-232 ports plus a Digi Edgeport. I have the identical setup here still running Windows server on Foxconn PC from a few years back.

I set it up remotely a few months back and tested it to work fine with Gordon acking lights going on or off. He is also using one Digi Edgeport there.

I am not sure if this has been changed or if the PC RS-232 port is being used now or the Digi Edgeport is being used.

That said maybe switching from the Digi Edgeport to one of the two serial ports (COM1 & COM2) on the Foxconn might help?
                      Worrth a try switching to the Foxconn serial ports. I'll aldo check for noise again.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thinking the two Foxconn RS-232 ports are in order maybe from top to bottom. Just a guess right now as COM1 and COM2.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

. . .maybe switching from the Digi Edgeport to one of the two serial ports (COM1 & COM2) on the Foxconn might help?
                          Gordon,
                          It sounds like you have your XTB 232 connected to an Edgeport? That is the configuration I'm using without any problem.

I assume you have other interfaces attached to the Edgeport, and they are working properly? Is the configuration of the interfaces the same as it was in HS2? That is, are the hardware components unchanged from your HS2 setup?
                          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

How many feet of cable are between your PC and XTB?
                            Best regards,
                            -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                            Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Helping Gordon connect the Digi Edgeport to the PC (it was already there next to the PC) I didn't ask at the time how far away the XTB was or the serial cable length.

With another HS user recall that their CM11A was plugged in to an old telephone jack with the cable running to a point near the fuse panel which could be similar to Gordon's set up.

If the wires are connected to a jack exposed to any weather the copper does get a bit corroded. It is not corrosion though rather a film on the copper. I have had this issue with outdoor copper LV wires for my landscaping lighting. I just dip the copper wires in a vinegar mix then a baking soda mix to clean the ends.
                              Last edited by Pete; August 22, 2016, 10:44 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X