Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found my X10 unreliability issue!!!!!

Ill tell a nice long story here..
    years ago on HS 2.5.x.x I had HS up and running with so many pieces... that it was awesome... so detailed but worked great.
    as time went my life got busy and I did so much at once..

everything is in my utility room in the basement
    added zwave, added a computer for virtualization testing, added cable tv booster, hd homerun prim, samsung cctv, etc.. so many things with AC power plugs.

now I have to tell you how this was setup (if your a fire inspector or firefighter please hit the back button )

while this is not recommended... my electrical inspector said it wasnt NOT doable... just not recommended..

what I asked him was ... there is a single outlet for the sump pump.. not a duplex.. just 1 plug..

I asked him if I could replace that with a duplex outlet. He said sure... just dont go over your amps or you will blow the circuit. He also said the motor for the sump could create noise or not be good for my hardware there...but yes I can without issue.

so I did it differently.. I put a T adapter plugged into that and ummmm (covers mouth and whispers)... put a power strip into each of those for 3...

well that wasnt enough so I put a power strip into a power strip... that he wouldnt approve... and have been running since.

now this is when HS3 came out and I was playing around but just jumped to HS3 due to my HD dying and I didnt have a backup. Lesson learned BLBackup works but only if on a different drive!!!!!!

so HS3, LED Bulbs EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (got them for $2.50 each), watchdog battery backup sump pump, power strips added, etc... so much.. and my system wouldnt ever work right..

HS3 would at times turn lights on... wouldnt turn them off, wouldnt do anything consistently...

now today... I have barely nothing in the utility room. Just my cable modem, wifi router, 24 port gig switch, monitor, box running ipfire firewall oh and my sump pump AND Battery backup sump pump kit (watchdog).

last night I took a power strip with a LONG cord and plugged in the ti103 and w800. Setup HS2 and HS3 to test various things and well I know HS2 was consistent so lets try there.. solid HW first where I know it works... and guess what...

INCONSISTENT!!!!! I had to sit back and think... so I then took my signalinc and replugged it to make sure it was connected good.
    my XPCR - removed it, rewired it.. supposed to be Red and Black for a 2 phase electrical outlet. I used Black and Black.. just to try as I noticed the LED wasnt lighting... well that isnt it.. still inconsistent...

i am using a MS13a and manually set it to D2 and hitting on and off.. and it is solid as I have seen prior (using BLRF)
    using a white x10 palmpad to hit D2 on and off.. and all good...

in HS3.. setup B10 as basement light (one of 4 sets) and manually HS wont trigger it on or off... palmpad chimes in and is working.. so that leads me to the ti103...

I walk over to the light switches (4 gang) and hit each off then on) and go back to my desk... in HS3 it says.. B10 on, B11 on, B12 on, B13 on...
    so I am sitting there going.. has to be the x10 plugin.. has to be... BUT how could it be... it is reporting it into HS so not wireless this is using the ti103...WTH!!!!!!

so I get up and go to unplug this all and im looking around... at my new heater (new high efficient heat, air, hw heater) there is the pump where the water from AC goes into. Well AC is off so there is a dedicated plug there... hmmmm
    gears go grinding... and grinding... so I take the plug out and put my ti103 in there...

go to my computer and from HS turn off one of the lights... IT TURNS OFF.. I turn EVERYONE OFF!!!! then on then off, then dim, etc.. then do it from the palm pad.... UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

so I know it was a long story, irrelevant but I thought worthy to sit in the x10 plugin area that I overlooked the simple things... that x10 is picky and when it is rock solid you need to go SLOW with changes.. and if it stops.. backup and find it..

so I am still doing my kitchen (under cabinet lights are all that is left and im at $750!!! UGHHH)...
    and on the permit I put in for a circuit for a 5 gang box that I planned to mount to the ceiling rafters of the basement (once again electrician said its ok.. remember my rant post about permits thus why im saying permits so much)...

now I can start getting HS back up. you have to realize I plan to go zwave or upb or whoever does toggle switches as my wife REQUIRES them..

but for now I have x10 23890w togglelinc 2 way switches EVERYWHERE... and it would be really expensive to buy all new switches...

well looks like im off to home depot right now to get the stuff and get this puppy going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

no bashing? wow.... yall r slipping... i expected more!!!!!

anyway an old pic pulled from "Show us your kit" thread...

well you cant see my plethora of power strips...

but now I have 2 rack mounted power strips (top of rack)... and still one on the wall for now.. until i get new batteries for my ups (2x apc 1000 and 1x apc 1500)

still a cable mess nightmare that I have to cut, crimp, zip tie, etc to cleanup.. make presentable.

also to take the duplex outlet out and put just the single sump outlet back in before inspection... LOL
    Attached Files
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

lol love the pictures, I'm sure most of us have been there. on the x10 stuff I'm having some of the same issues. little at a time I have been moving over to zwave

good luck with your projects

Comment

Working...
      X