Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CM15A tab not visible (HS3PI3)

Hello,

I'm trying to test my CM15A with my new HS3PI3. I looked at the sticky to create an X10 device and CM15A controller but I don't have any X10 /CM15A tab. How can I get this tab ???

Thanks J Guy
    Last edited by mfisher; December 15, 2016, 09:35 AM.

Hello J Guy,

Sorry you're having issues with this. The CM15A tab is only visible when the correct CM15A plugin is installed, the CM15A is connected and both are operating properly.
    • Verify that you have the current Linux version (3.0.0.5) of the CM15A plugin installed.
    • Be sure the plugin is enabled on the Manage Plugins page.
    • What is listed for the CM15A "Plug-in status" on the Manage Plugins page?
    • Please post a copy of your HS log entries that show the plugin being initialized during HS3 startup so we can see what's happening.

Also, I moved your question to a new thread so it's easier for others with a similar problem to find
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Thanks,

English is not my mother's language but in the sticky thread titled "how to create a new X10 device ... " you say " Here is the procedure to create a new X10 device in HS3. Note that this procedure applies to both the "X10" and CM15A plugins ....". So, to me, it was the way to add the CM15A plugin. I suspect many others may understand like me ....

By looking around in the manage Plugins tab, I discovered that CM15A was there in Lightning & primary Technology. Sticky thread should be more specific for X10 plugins. Why not add "X-10 Plugins (CM15A, CM-11, etc..) must first be added in the Manage Plugins, Lightning & primary Technology" ?

Many people here are using HS for a long time, this may be obvious to them. When a rookie jumps in HS for the first time, that's a lot to learn and that's a nice example where we face serious problems.

J Guy

Comment

Originally posted by jgveill View Post
        Many people here are using HS for a long time, this may be obvious to them. When a rookie jumps in HS for the first time, that's a lot to learn and that's a nice example where we face serious problems.
        Well said! Not bad for someone who considers his ability to communicate in English to be limited. Welcome to the HS Board.

If there is one place were HST continually and consistently fails to meet my expectations it is in communication and documentation. It's a constant complaint on this board, and misunderstanding due to poor documentation is probably the genesis of over half the discussion here. Unfortunately, it's a fact, and if you want to learn about how to use HomeSeer, it's a hurdle that must be crossed. The good news is there are many people here who are more than willing to help, and a few, like Mark, who bring specialized knowledge to the table as well.

Be patient. Ask questions. Start small and move slowly at first. I think you will be surprised at how quickly you 'catch on' to the way the system works and how quickly you will build expertise you can share with rookies that follow you.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by jgveill View Post
          Thanks,

English is not my mother's language but in the sticky thread titled "how to create a new X10 device ... " you say " Here is the procedure to create a new X10 device in HS3. Note that this procedure applies to both the "X10" and CM15A plugins ....". So, to me, it was the way to add the CM15A plugin. I suspect many others may understand like me ....

By looking around in the manage Plugins tab, I discovered that CM15A was there in Lightning & primary Technology. Sticky thread should be more specific for X10 plugins. Why not add "X-10 Plugins (CM15A, CM-11, etc..) must first be added in the Manage Plugins, Lightning & primary Technology" ?

J Guy
          Welcome to the wonderful world of HomeSeer! (I missed saying that in my last post.) I would have never guessed from your posts that English is not your first language!

Your HomeSeer system can be as simple or as complicated as you make it, and as Michael points out it is best to start small and move slowly so that you can thoroughly understand what you are doing, how it works and the interplay with your home automation ecosystem.

I certainly understand how confusing things can be when getting started with HomeSeer! While I agree with Michael that the HS documentation could be better, it will be very important for you to review the help documentation provided with the software so you understand the basics of how to use the it. The HS3 help file (accessed from the question mark located in the upper right corner of the HomeSeer program page, just under the HomeSeer logo), includes an excellent 'Quick Start' section that provides instructions for getting HS installed, attaching hardware, installing plugins and creating devices and events. This message board will be an excellent resource to help you get answers to questions, but please understand that it is not intended to replace the basic documentation supplied with the program.

A quick note about X10 support and the CM15a plugin... A year or so ago, HomeSeer (the company) decided to no longer provide support for any of their X10 plugins. I am a long time HS user and provided support for the Ti-103 X10 hardware plugin under HS2 in past years, so I volunteered to provide 3rd party support for these plugins since many of us still use X10. Please understand that I have very limited time to devote to supporting these plugins so I ask in advance for your patience when you encounter issues.

You should know that there are outstanding issues with the CM15a plugin and that it is somewhat limited in capability when compared to the CM11a/Ti103 "X10" plugin. Specifically, the CM15a plugin does not handle 'Preset Dim' or 'Extended' X10 commands. Further, some users have reported erratic operation of the CM15a due to issues with the RF portion of the device and have gone so far as to remove the RF daughterboard in their CM15a to resolve the issue. Other users report that the device and plugin work perfectly for them. I just want you to be aware that you may run into some issues with this hardware and plugin.

Please let us know if the CM15a plugin is working for you and if you have any questions about it.
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

Comment

Thanks to everyone, specially mfisher who spend time to make these old X10 modules working with newer softfare !

I'm an old timer using X10 with CM15A. I download all events to the CM15A. Recently I had problem with daylight saving time. Connecting the notebook to the controller fixed the CM15A clock by itself. As I also wanted to change an event, I could not download anything, AHP closed each time. So my usb is working (time was updated) not the download function. First time I have this type of problem.

Previously, I had many USB unknown device and it was easily fixed by removing batteries and disconnecting power. This time I'm nervous about trying this again. I'm just afraid that my CM15A is dying and that I may not be able to download anything again. So I wanted to have a fall back if downloading is no more possible. That's where I bought the HS3-PI3 to have a fallback scenario just in case and it's probably time to go with something more robust.

I'll certainly be back with more :questions / comments.

J Guy

Comment

I too have had the problem of the CM15A tab not appearing when I go to add a device. I have resorted to deleting the device and clicking the "+" sign again. The CM15A tab always appears on the second try...luckily.

I do have a question, however. Doesn't the plugin/CM15A not sure which, see the current state of a device, be it a switch or more so, a dimmer such as the 12A or XPD3? I guess that would be polling for the status??

This stuff works almost well enough for me to think of buying more X10 controls since they are almost half the price of other protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                Doesn't the plugin/CM15A not sure which, see the current state of a device, be it a switch or more so, a dimmer such as the 12A or XPD3? I guess that would be polling for the status??
                That depends very much on the device. Many, probably most, X10 devices to not report status, so the only way the plug-in has of knowing (guessing?) the status of a device is by monitoring the X10 traffic.

That said, there are - or were - some devices that report status. I have mostly Compose devices, which do report status, both at actuation and by polling. But they cost as much as high end Z-wave or UPB switches.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                  I too have had the problem of the CM15A tab not appearing when I go to add a device. I have resorted to deleting the device and clicking the "+" sign again. The CM15A tab always appears on the second try...luckily.
                  This is interesting and has been reported more than once. The next time this happens would you please check the CM15a plugin status (on the Manage Plugins page) and if it says it's OK then check the HS log and see if there are any entries for the CM15a plugin and post your findings.

I do have a question, however. Doesn't the plugin/CM15A not sure which, see the current state of a device, be it a switch or more so, a dimmer such as the 12A or XPD3? I guess that would be polling for the status??
                  As Uncle Michael stated, most X10 devices can only receive commands and do not transmit their status (or anything else) back onto the powerline. I believe the XPD3 and WS12A both fall into this category. Please see this thread for more info: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185591
                  And the X10 site for the XPD3: https://www.x10.com/xpd3-iw-master-dimmer-switch.html

This stuff works almost well enough for me to think of buying more X10 controls since they are almost half the price of other protocols.
                  I still use X10 almost exclusively.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

Comment

Working...
                  X