Z-Wave Interface Backup Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post

I can see that the event recorded in the log (see screen shot), but I only see 2 entries which occurred when I clicked the execution button and nothing further.
    I have additional log entries.

PHP Code:
    GET http://192.168.1.119:82/ZWaveControllers
    200 OK
    Form ID
    (s): F31XXXXXXXX 
    I suspect the perl script is not being executed. Try putting double quotes around the perl script path and name. "C:\Program Files\.....\...pl" This is due to the spaces in the path and trigger the event with the "run" button to test.

Comment

Hello,

Yes, thanks @lveatch, double quotes are needed enclosing the script name, due to the space character in the "Program Files" component. See screenshot in post #1.

Correct, the backup files should appear in the same folder as when run manually, C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave

The username/password only comes into play if you have "No Password Required for Local/Same Network Login" unchecked on Network tab of Tools->Setup. If that's checked you don't need to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
        I have additional log entries.

PHP Code:
        GET http://192.168.1.119:82/ZWaveControllers
        200 OK
        Form ID
        (s): F31XXXXXXXX 
        I suspect the perl script is not being executed. Try putting double quotes around the perl script path and name. "C:\Program Files\.....\...pl" This is due to the spaces in the path and trigger the event with the "run" button to test.
        Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        Hello,

Yes, thanks @lveatch, double quotes are needed enclosing the script name, due to the space character in the "Program Files" component. See screenshot in post #1.

Correct, the backup files should appear in the same folder as when run manually, C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave

The username/password only comes into play if you have "No Password Required for Local/Same Network Login" unchecked on Network tab of Tools->Setup. If that's checked you don't need to worry about it.
        Hi guys, you're correct - the missing quote marks did the trick. I totally missed that in the screen shot of post #1! Now I'll feel a bit more comfortable making updates/changes as these will be backed up automatically!

It may not matter, but I don't get those additional logging entries when I run my event. Should those appear as well or do you have more verbose logging which isn't standard with HomeSeer? Attached screen shot of my log entries.

Happy New Year guys!
        Dave

PS -- One last question, zwolfpack. If I disable the No Password Required for Local/Same Network Login option (Custom -> Network), which username/password would need to be used? Does that come from the username and password fields above on that same screen (see screen shot)?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NetworkGuy; January 3rd, 2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Yes, those are the ones. I tested it using the 'default' user.

I don't get any additional entries in the HS log. Script outputs don't show up there. For debugging, you can see the output by running the script in a cmd shell, using command

perl "c:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\zwbkup.pl" -l username/password

Comment

[QUOTE=NetworkGuy;1342437
            It may not matter, but I don't get those additional logging entries when I run my event. Should those appear as well or do you have more verbose logging which isn't standard with HomeSeer? [/QUOTE]

Ah, I know why. I didn't pull that info from the actual HS logs.

I run HS on linux and I pipe the output from the startup ./go command to a perl script which sends all console entries to my central syslog. While script output does not go to the HS log, it does go to the console - which in turns ends up in my syslog. Very handy for script debugging and general traceability within the entire automation ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              Yes, those are the ones. I tested it using the 'default' user.

I don't get any additional entries in the HS log. Script outputs don't show up there. For debugging, you can see the output by running the script in a cmd shell, using command

perl "c:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\scripts\zwbkup.pl" -l username/password
              Originally posted by lveatch View Post
              Ah, I know why. I didn't pull that info from the actual HS logs.

I run HS on linux and I pipe the output from the startup ./go command to a perl script which sends all console entries to my central syslog. While script output does not go to the HS log, it does go to the console - which in turns ends up in my syslog. Very handy for script debugging and general traceability within the entire automation ecosystem.
              Thanks zwolfpack. My backup script seems to be working. I'll maybe run it nightly for a while, then weekly. But it seems to be creating the backup as expected!

And thanks lveatch - I had thought that I would see the log entries as pointed out. But logically thinking, I should have realized that scripts wouldn't log into HomeSeer by default.

Comment

Hmm, came home to the fan on the HS3 running full tilt and high CPU usage since 1:35 this morning. That's the instant the backup occurs. I remember reading something that just visiting the controller page calmed things down and sure enough everything went back to normal. It was the z-wave plug-in that was acting up.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 01-07-19 at 03.13 PM.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	1273574

Comment

Make sure you are using the most recent version. The version available before April would cause my CPU to peg around 15-30 minutes after it ran (so it took me awhile to correlate to this).

If it still does it for you with the latest version, its 'just one of those things'... The Z-Wave plugin seems pretty finicky.

Comment

zwolfpack I do have the latest version. I'm going to write an event to notify me when CPU usage pegs and at least I won't be throttled up for a very long time. Thanks.

Comment

I'm not running the backup script any longer, but when I was running David's r4 script and it would send the CPU balls out after a backup. I put an Action, delayed 2 minutes (for 3 interfaces) after the backup to disable the Z-Wave plug-in and another Action delayed 3 minutes to enable the Z-Wave plug-in. That stopped the problem here.

I have installed the r6 script, but I am not currently running the backup Event. My Z-Wave network has been unchanged for 5 or 6 months and Rich's new method of backing up every time a device3 is included or excluded keeps me current.
                      Randy Prade
                      Aurora, CO
                      Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Working...
                      X