zwave ge switches 3 way how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so I watched this video and not following. I know how to wire switches, etc..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx1luE9llSQ

what I have is a box on one end of the hallway. the power line is there. the other switch at the other end of the hallway is the one that goes up to the light.

so what I thought was easy...
    ground - green
    common - white
    load - light
    power - ????????????????

now on the video he says connect 2 wires together. so you hook up common but I'm not following where the power is. is the power going into the traveler?

so what I'm thinking it is will be like so...

slave switch
    common - white
    black (power) AND say Red traveler both into the traveler screw? so that will get the power over to the other switch?
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    ok so I watched this video and not following. I know how to wire switches, etc..

what I have is a box on one end of the hallway. the power line is there. the other switch at the other end of the hallway is the one that goes up to the light.

so what I thought was easy...
    ground - green
    common - white
    load - light
    power - ????????????????

now on the video he says connect 2 wires together. so you hook up common but I'm not following where the power is. is the power going into the traveler?

so what I'm thinking it is will be like so...

slave switch
    common - white
    black (power) AND say Red traveler both into the traveler screw? so that will get the power over to the other switch?
    No!

If you have a 3-conductor wire between the switches, put the master in the side where the line comes in. It can be at either location, but this is how I am describing it.

On the master connect the white neutral fron the line coming in and the white neutral from the 3-conductor to the neutral terminals on the switch. Connect the black from the line in to the terminal marked line. Connect the black from the 3 conductor to the terminal marked load and the red wire to the traveler.

In the box install the slave. You should have a 2 conductor that goes to the load and the 3-conductor from the other box. Connect both whites to the neutral terminal on the slave and the red to the traveler. You should have 2 black wires. Wire nut them together and do not connect them to the accessory switch. Connect the grounds to the ground terminals at both locations (if you have them).

You can also do it with the master switch in the box where the load lines are, just remember the 2 black wires in the box where the accessory switch is are to be connected together and not connected to anything else. In both boxes both (or all) neutrals are connected together AND to the neutral connections on the switch or accessory.

The power to the master or to the load is carried by the black wire in the 3-conductor between the boxes.

There should NEVER be power on the traveler wire.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Jeff

These are wired completely differently to old school 3-way switches.

The line and load are only attached to the master switch. There are no black wires attached to the slave.

You can put the master switch in either location. If you put it in the box where the power comes in, hook that line wire to line on the switch and hook the other black that runs to the second switch box to the load terminal. Also hook up the red traveller, white neutral and green/bare ground.

In the other box location wire nut the 2 blacks together (one coming from the master switch and the one going to the light), thus bypassing the slave switch. Attach the red traveler and connect all white neutrals together and to the switch.

The only thing switching in these switches is the master switch. The red traveler sends a low voltage signal from the slave to the master telling it to switch.

If you want the switches the other way around, wire nut the blacks in the first box (bypassing again ) and in the 2nd box attach the black from box 1 to Line on the switch and the black going to the light to the Load terminal. Other connections as before.

Hope that helps

Cheers
      James.
      cheeryfool

Comment

Sorry. Randy was typing quicker.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
          Sorry. Randy was typing quicker.
          At least we both said the same thing

FWIW the traveler doesn't send a low voltage signal, it really only looks for one of two resistive values in the accessory switch. That is why you can have a number of accessory switches tied to one master.

Comment

thx guys.. yes my bro is an electrician and I called him. These switches are new to him so he wasn't sure but after we talked we came up with 2 situations and are as follows:

lets not worry common or ground we know those.. LOL

Main in Power Box
            hot in - line
            Travel wire - to aux switch travel wire
            load - use a traveler wire (red) and in to the other box bypassing the switch and straight into the light

aux in power box
            power - send it through one of the old travel wires (black) to get power to the other box for the main switch
            traveler - red from travel on both switches

so either way he said should work. my problem he said will be all the wires so he recommends I put the aux switch in the power box as it doesn't require so many wires and keep it easier. albeit a wire nut is needed (3) to send power to the other main switches

so which method would you do? I have to fix another issue so not wiring yet.

found kitchen issue...
            I had an issue where if you flick the light switch in the dining room on (for kitchen lights) then go to the other 3 way switch flick it on or off it wouldn't work... well I just found the red travel wire is broke. so now I have to open the wall in the pantry up and put a box in to then splice in wires to get them longer... man I used to enjoy this crap but not lately...

~Jeff

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

load - use a traveler wire (red) and in to the other box bypassing the switch and straight into the light.
              No! This will not work. Use the black in the 3-conductor to carry the load or the line, depending on which of the two configurations I described above you use.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                No! This will not work. Use the black in the 3-conductor to carry the load or the line, depending on which of the two configurations I described above you use.
                Sorry. Replied to wrong post
                cheeryfool

Comment

At least we both said the same thing

FWIW the traveler doesn't send a low voltage signal, it really only looks for one of two resistive values in the accessory switch. That is why you can have a number of accessory switches tied to one master.

Thanks for that clarification.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Load just goes to the light.... so if i use black or red shouldnt matter....

If i use black into main switch for load... other end of black to wire that goes to light....

Comment

Load just goes to the light.... so if i use black or red shouldnt matter....

If i use black into main switch for load... other end of black to wire that goes to light....
                      unless you have whacky wiring, there shouldn't be a red going to the light in your configuration. Commonly in your config, the only place there's a red is between the 2 switch locations - if that's the case I wouldn't wire it differently from the recommended way to avoid future confusion.
                      cheeryfool

Comment

ok your right.. that didn't work.. ok so I have to read this again

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                          unless you have whacky wiring, there shouldn't be a red going to the light in your configuration. Commonly in your config, the only place there's a red is between the 2 switch locations - if that's the case I wouldn't wire it differently from the recommended way to avoid future confusion.
                          right.. the red wire goes from one box to the other box.. that's it

so I used that wire as the traveler and placed onto traveler on both light switches....

I took the hot wire from the one box and connected it to the black wire that rides with the red wire to the other box to get power to the other switch. I then put load to light (black) but nothing going so I have to pull the other switch out and hit with a volt meter...

Comment

here we go.. this is how it is right now.. and not working...
                            thoughts?

so since I'm sending hot straight to the switch from the one box.. the light should work from that switch.. as a standalone.. so I'm thinking maybe I didn't strip enough wire or something like that...
                            Attached Files

Comment

here we go.. this is how it is right now.. and not working...

thoughts?

so since I'm sending hot straight to the switch from the one box.. the light should work from that switch.. as a standalone.. so I'm thinking maybe I didn't strip enough wire or something like that...

As long as that 120v/line black pair is connected together and NOT to that left switch AND by Common, you mean White Neutral AND there's a Neutral coming back from the load AND all Neutrals are connected, then it Should work.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X