Ecolink and Zooz no battery info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ecolink and Zooz no battery info

I have Ecolink and Zooz devices on HS3 Pro. I use the smartstick. Everything is good but the battery voltage.

Both companies say they have looked into this and say that the way HS handles the battery doesn't work. They also showed me several other companies where it is working properly. So I have to agree with them.

So is something in the queue to look at this problem?

Originally posted by mworsnop View Post
    I have Ecolink and Zooz devices on HS3 Pro. I use the smartstick. Everything is good but the battery voltage.

Both companies say they have looked into this and say that the way HS handles the battery doesn't work. They also showed me several other companies where it is working properly. So I have to agree with them.

So is something in the queue to look at this problem?
    I just finished talking to Homeseer about this.

The first thing is to download version 3.0.1.130 for z-wave. It contains new classes I'm told for battery status fixes. Now the key to this is to exclude/include the device again AFTER you have upgraded to 130.

Go to the device page (UI) and in the list for that device is the main device (top one in list) click on it and under settings wake up the device (3 quick button presses) and make sure there is a time listed for wakeup. Most will say 12 hours except for the zse40 and it reads 1 hour.

Then go to the battery in the list and click on it and set it to 12 hours also. On the zse40 if you have it you may have to set the battery to 1 hour. I have mine on 12 so we will see.

If you want to make sure the battery is actually reporting then set the device and battery poll times to 6 minutes (that is the minimum time). Then watch the battery to see if it updates every 6 minutes. If so then set them both back to 12 hours.

Comment

OK I just got the latest plugin for ZWave. I set the poll on the master and the battery to 10 hours. The Zooz send the battery every 12 hours. So will watch and let you know

Comment

Database is not updating on battery class

I got the Zooz and reset the update time to 5 minutes to do a test. I still didnt see any changes. So I enabled the logging for ZWave and I can see the battery being delivered in the log. So that data is getting into HS.

BUT the time is not being changed. I left a message for support and they said the date time doesnt update unless the value changes. This is not right as sometimes the date time does update. For a database point of view it seems easier to update the record rather then query it first and then update. So I am guessing the battery class in ZWave does not update the database properly every time. Sometimes I would love to have the source code so I dont have to guess whats not happening!

Anyone have an idea?

Comment

I got the Zooz and reset the update time to 5 minutes to do a test. I still didnt see any changes. So I enabled the logging for ZWave and I can see the battery being delivered in the log. So that data is getting into HS.
          Try using 6 min instead of 5. HS shows this as a minimum.

BUT the time is not being changed. I left a message for support and they said the date time doesnt update unless the value changes. This is not right as sometimes the date time does update. For a database point of view it seems easier to update the record rather then query it first and then update. So I am guessing the battery class in ZWave does not update the database properly every time. Sometimes I would love to have the source code so I dont have to guess whats not happening!

Anyone have an idea?
          I gave the battery poll time a slightly less time (30s) than the device polling time and the battery was updated early in the morning. It showed the day (today) and the time. Stagger your times for each battery device so it doesn't poll the battery of each all at the same time. You might try that.

ADD: Uncheck box next to "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:" in the battery device configuration tab.
          Last edited by cowinger; June 27, 2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I bet the check box makes a difference. I will let you know what happens.
            Funny though sometimes the date time will change maybe its off by 0.1

We will see

Comment

Just wanted to add something else here for anyone who has these. When you include these battery devices they show a device poll time of 12 hours. That is normal for them. The ZSE40 will show 1 hour all others 12.

The battery poll times should be configured to occur before the device poll times. So if your device poll time is 12 hours then the battery poll times could be 11 hours 59 min or sooner.

According to HS, polling a battery device more than once will result in the excess polls in the queue to be removed anyway so there is only one. This is to save on CPU usage.

Also z-wave 3.0.1.130 or higher should be used. Hope I have all this right.

Comment

Interesting support didnt mention the flag to update the flag. This helped lots:

Code:
                Do not update device last change time if device value does not change:
                This is what Zooz has to say. However the latest driver plugin might have fixed it...

From Zooz:
                We consulted the issue with Z-Wave Alliance to check if they're familiar with any HomeSeer-specific issues with battery reports. They confirmed our assumption that HomeSeer indeed doesn't prioritize the battery command class so if the controller is busy with other type of communication at the time when the sensor is awake (and it only wakes up for around 20 seconds every 12 hours), then it will not get the report. It may therefore get random reports once in a while if it so happens that the controller is "free" and queries the sensor at exactly the right time. The reason you may not be seeing similar issues with other sensors is that they either wake up more often or they send the battery report automatically. We are now looking into introducing auto-reports to the firmware so HomeSeer users specifically are not affected by this issue.

Comment

WORKING OK!!!

I think the combination of the latest ZWave plugin and turning off the flag

"Do not update device last change time
                  if device value does not change:"

Between the two I am now getting battery readings! Now I can deploy the other Zooz sensors.

Comment

I think the combination of the latest ZWave plugin and turning off the flag

"Do not update device last change time
                    if device value does not change:"

Between the two I am now getting battery readings! Now I can deploy the other Zooz sensors.
                    Sounds like there was no real problem to begin with as the battery polling was working fine and you were just looking at the "last update time" waiting for that to change and it wasn't (since battery % from the device was the same).

Glad its all working now.

Comment

Working...
                    X