No announcement yet.

Door lock recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, this is just as I suspected, there are no reliable routes to the locks, hence your frustration of them randomly working. You should NOT have to send the command to lock them three times... as a security device you want it to be 100% reliable (as possible).

The neighbor nodes for those locks, what are they specifically (make/model)? I'm guessing Node 1 is the Nortek Z-wave stick.

Comment

So this will probably be my last post on the topic but I wanted to provide an update.

I pinged the device first (test connectivity) then did a full optimize on both locks. New route shows a direct 40K connection to the Nortek, no hops for both locks.

Then I did some tests and it still didn't work properly. I ran a rescan of one of the locks, just in case it was missing something in HS (see log below) and then tried to use the devices page on HS to lock the door. You'll see that command failed.

Anyway, I got excited because I saw that Yale makes zigbee modules for the locks, so I'm going to order those and just avoid any future headaches. I guess z-wave just isn't meant for me or some device I have,.

In answer to your question, the other 2 neighbors are GE z-wave wall switches, which I think are made by Jasco but I'm not sure. They seem to work with z-wave most of the time.

Thanks for your time and explanations!

Dennis

Info on one of the wall switches:
      Uses Interface: Nortek (1) Basic Type: ROUTING SLAVE, Generic Type: SWITCH BINARY, Specific Type: POWER SWITCH BINARY
      Command Classes:
      Supported: Switch Binary(V 1), Switch All, Powerlevel, Configuration, Version, Manufacturer Specific, Node Naming
      3 Full Name: Sun room ☀️ Porch light Polling: Polling Disabled
      Manufacturer:
      Jasco Products
      Type:
      0x4952
      ID:
      0x3032
      Listens:
      Yes
      Version: 3.67 (ZDK 4.55) Firmware: 3.29 Neighbor Count:
      Speed:
      40Kbps

Lock log:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-08-08_22h17_12.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1409796

Comment

Just to provide my own two cents on this - Z-Wave can absolutely work reliably, though I think it's important to define "reliable". On the odd occasion I do indeed get a delay hitting a light or a lock, or have a retry. But this is very, occasional, not the norm. On the whole, i find it quite reliable and trust it to deal with much automation.

That being said, it took me awhile to get there - it took some time, and analysis, and adjustment. Note: The same is true for Zigbee. Having played with a bunch of Hue devices, I find they have similar issues to z-wave, don't assume zigbee will solve your issues. Same also for Wifi - I've played with different wifi devices and experienced issues - there's no one-protocol-to-solve-it-all out there...

Of direct potential interest to you, I was having troubles with reliability of one of my z-wave locks - what I ended up doing was putting a z-wave repeater near the lock. Just a little square box that plugs into an outlet. Just ensure it supports Beaming as described above <----- this is the important part. After I added that repeater in, and did a couple of optimizations, The lock has worked quite reliably since.

After reading through this thread, it feels like you're experiencing a bit of z-wave fatigue - there have been several things offered up to check that I'm not sure you've fully followed up on, but that is understandable when you've tried lots of stuff and are getting to the point where you're frustrated and just want to kinda find-that-one-thing-that-will-work. I've been there.

if you don't give up on it though, and work through it slowly and methodically here, we can definitely try to help make it reliable. Once you do, I doubt you'll want to change technologies....

regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
        X