Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Z-Wave network less reliable than X10??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Z-Wave network less reliable than X10??

My Z-Wave network seems to be getting worse and worse the bigger it gets and currently it is less reliable than my X-10 ever was.

I have 50ish Z-wave devices "optimized" multiple times. Yet I frequently get something like:

Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: 2 Bedroom LED Strip Brightness

In fact I get Z-Wave errors maybe 30 times A DAY.

1) If I look at the nodes as I optimize the network, each node has like 15 neighbors. I'm thinking this is good. Can this cause problems with loops or something?

2) Also, over time, I've acquired modules (mostly Aeon) which report power like every 15 minutes. As a result of the number of modules doing this, my Z-troller indicates that it polling (/receiving a poll) like 10 seconds out of every minute. Is this inbound traffic clobbering the outbound?

3) Is that fact I have a Ztroller the problem?

4) Is Z-wave just a fragile protocol? I thought it was supposed to be better than Insteon and X-10.

Help!

Thanks,
    Tahl

Hi Tahl, I have a z-wave based network which is fairly small. I haven't had any problems with it so far... I have followed this article to the letter and it has helped me understand the tuning side of z-wave - https://drzwave.blog/2017/01/20/seve...for-consumers/

Comment

^^^ Thanks, I'm going to read through that later today; however, I sorta disagree with some of it already...

a quick scan brought me to this..
      3. Place the hub in a central location

Putting the hub in a corner of the basement might be convenient, but its a terrible idea for Z-Wave.

well I can agree IF and ONLY IF you see any issues. Hell I loved my x10 light switches (23890w togglelinc with boosterlinc) and I still have 7 installed right now. But with the new zwave+ toggle switches supporting instant status... life has lead me the ability to replace my x10 switches (only did 3 so far).....

so with the 3. comment... my network is superiorly faster with zwave than x-10. my x-10 takes a second or 2, to turn on my garage light BUT my garage track lights are on IMMEDIATELY....

so my point is... you can follow that doc as a guide and if you choose to not follow one of them, then just remember it and use that as a troubleshooting guide in the future.

my house is small... 2376 sq ft... 2 floors plus 1/2 basement.

my z-net is in the far back corner of basement where I built a utility room (has hvac, water tank, sump pump and all my automation) and I have zero issues...

I get a bonus in 2-3 weeks and I'm going to be calling zooz with an order to replace every light switch that is left (about 26) and get rid of my x10 switches. Love x10 reliability I have but so nice to do an import from controller and bam... in HS.. (had an issue and my db got wiped and no x10 switches are in hs right now)

but for the OP, id definitely try it to see if it matters....

also OP... do you have z-seer? what does it show?
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

@mbirrell, I'll take a look at some of those suggestions. I do have some dead nodes (I think) still in the controller but other than that, I think I'm following the guidelines.

@telefragger, I'm not sure I follow the post.

Thanks!,
        Tahl

Comment

Working...
        X