Exception updating Z-Wave data record in the database:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exception updating Z-Wave data record in the database:

I just completed very painful Windows 10 upgrade on my dedicated HomeSeer mini-pc. At first I was happy that everything seemed to be OK, but than I noticed multiple error messages in the startup log ( see below) .

I tried restoring Z-Wave2.db from back up and also found post recommending to delete HomeSeerLog.hsd. Neither action fixed the issue.

Can anyone offer up a solution?

4/8/2018 1:51:09 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~SQL Exception updating Z-Wave data record in the database: attempt to write a readonly databaseattempt to write a readonly database, Code=8, Link=
    4/8/2018 1:51:09 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~ERROR, Exception in SaveZWData: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    4/8/2018 1:51:09 PM ~!~Z-Wave Warning~!~There were errors generated during the save of the database item. Please consult this log for more details and report any data loss to HomeSeer Technologies.

Date/Time: 4/8/2018 1:55:43 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 4 Minutes 57 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.55
    Number of Devices: 462
    Number of Events: 122
    Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.39.0: BLLAN
    3.1.1.24385: Blue-Iris
    3.0.0.16: Chromecast
    3.7.1.0: Harmony Hub
    3.0.0.31: Nest
    3.0.0.14: NetCAM
    3.0.0.83: weatherXML
    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Windows 10 (started with Windows 7) locks down both the directories below for security. You can go in and update the permissions to "Change" (same as modify). Or verify at least that it's set this way.

> C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3
    > C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3

Most likely the installation will be in the "x86" folder, but I would check both. Make sure you propagate any permission update to all child directories as well. Then restart HomeSeer and see if it helps.
    Last edited by NetworkGuy; April 8, 2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I rebooted my PC without making any changes and now the Z-wave is not working at all. Based on the last error msg below, I think you are right that this has to do with permissions. However, I checked permissions and both Administrators and System has full access to folder and files. I did not mention this before but I am running the main program "As Administrator" while logged with account that has administrative rights.

3:19:43 PM ~!~Error~!~Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::General error setting up environment in InitIO: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Backup\Z-Wave2_5.db' is denied. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.File.Delete(String path) at HSPI_ZWave.Database_Utils.LoadConfig(String filename) at HSPI_ZWave.HSPI.InitIO(String port)Startup Complete, 182 errors detected, check the log for more information.

Comment

Since I am making daily backups, I decided to restore the entire directory to pre-windows update state. This took care of this problem. Not sure why would Windows update broke permissions. Cheers.

Comment

Glad you got it working!

As an FYI, when you log onto Windows with an administrator account, there are two available security tokens provided to your login session. One token that does NOT include administrator rights and a second token that DOES include administrator rights.

By default, when you login, you do so using the security token WITHOUT administrator permissions. You are able to switch to the token with administrator rights (as needed) when launching an application, but you do so by right-clicking and selecting "launch as administrator" (or similar) to launch with administrator permissions. If you do not launch this way, the application will NOT launch with administrator permissions. You should see that additional UAC (User Access Control) dialog confirming that you intend to do that. You would need to click the "Yes" button to continue with administrator rights.

Comment

Working...
          X