Adding z-wave with encryption or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding z-wave with encryption or not

So I was wondering what folks are doing/thinking when adding z-wave devices with encryption or not. What are the advantages of adding devices with encryption? Is it really worth doing? Don't devices add easier without?
    How likely is security breached if I don't add a device with encryption?
    A lot of z-wave plus devices support both, but I'm wondering if it is really necessary...

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Originally posted by langenet View Post
    So I was wondering what folks are doing/thinking when adding z-wave devices with encryption or not. What are the advantages of adding devices with encryption? Is it really worth doing? Don't devices add easier without?
    How likely is security breached if I don't add a device with encryption?
    A lot of z-wave plus devices support both, but I'm wondering if it is really necessary...

Robert
    Here's my 2 cents....

Some devices require encryption for full functionality. Some don't report battery if they aren't included secure some don't fully function like garage doors.

Then some devices don't function well with encryption either even though they support it. Example my ZSE40 muli-sensor included fine and all sensors reported except motion.... I had to exclude and re-include non-secure for all functions to work.

Then there's the battery drain issue. Security will drain the battery of some devices faster than normal with no real benefit...

So I guess... well it's sorta hit or miss sometimes. I generally just hit include and see what happens and if everything works and battery doesn't drain at a crazy rate then I don't really care.

Comment

Working...
    X