Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave Plugin with Security S2 Support (Beta)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Plugin with Security S2 Support (Beta)

Updated: 7/28/21

A beta version of our Z-Wave plugin with Security S2 support is available for testing. You can install from the Beta section of the Plugins page.

Please back up your system before installing this plugin just to be safe!

NOTE: This S2 version of the Z-Wave plugin does not support the 700 series Z-Wave interface. We are working on a fix for this and will post an update once we have it. For now you will need to use a 500 series based interface.

FAQ:

What is S2 Security?
    Is is a new addition to Z-Wave that offers better encryption of data over the Z-Wave network. It is virutally impossible for an attacker to sniff the data and replay in order to control your devices. S2 support needs to be added to both the controller and the end device.

Which devices support S2?
    Any new device released after April 2 2017 MUST support S2. There are exceptions. Code space in the 500 series Z-Wave chip is limited when S2 is added so some complex devices may not have S2 support. All HomeSeer devices currently for sale (except for our water valve) now include S2 support.

How does it work?
    S2 supports 3 different encryption methods:
    1) UnAuthenticated
    2) Authenticated
    3) AccessControl

If a device supports more than one method, a dialog will be displayed allowing you to select the method you want to use. If a device supports AccessControl, most likely its a door lock and will only support that one method.

For Authenticated, you will be then prompted to enter a 5 digit PIN that is printed on the device.

For UnAuthenticated, you do not have to enter any information and the device is added automatically.

What is SmartStart?
    SmartStart is not yet supported in this plugin. SmartStart will allow you to add a device to HS3 before you actually install the device. You scan a QR code on the device, the controller will save the DSK Key which identifies the device. When the device is powered on it notifies the controller that it is ready to add, and then adds automatically. The intent is for use by installers. The device is added in Authenticated or Access mode as described above with the exception that the PIN code is already added by scanning the QR code.

Limitations on this version of the plugin:

1) You cannot use Z-Tool+ yet to add S2 devices. It does not yet support the dialogs to prompt you for an authentication mode. Use the web interface only.

2) SmartStart is not yet supported.

NOTE: There are 2 S2 Linux plugins in the Beta section of the plugins page, one for Arm based systems such as our HomeTroller Zee S2 and one for X86 based systems (our SEL unit or your own flavor of Linux). Make sure you install the one that matches your hardware. We will automate this selection process in the future.
    Last edited by rjh; September 6, 2018, 03:35 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    A beta version of our Z-Wave plugin with Security S2 support is available for testing. You can install from the Beta section of the Plugin

What is the version number of the ZWave Plugin that includes S2?

HS3 3.0.0.423 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.206
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Any Z-Wave plugin with the version 3.0.2.X has S2 support. This way I can keep releasing the 3.0.1.x versions. The S2 version has not gone through Z-Wave certification yet, still adding features.

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
      What is the version number of the ZWave Plugin that includes S2?

HS3 3.0.0.423 & HSTouch 3.0.55 with 700 Devices, 358 Events
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.206

Comment

Any Z-Wave plugin with the version 3.0.2.X has S2 support. This way I can keep releasing the 3.0.1.x versions. The S2 version has not gone through Z-Wave certification yet, still adding features.
        HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

If you do not add any devices using S2, the plugin works exactly the same as the non S2 version. So if you don't care about S2 don't bother loading it, stick with 3.0.1.x versions.

Comment

What's the reason for not supporting S2 in the HomeSeer water valves ("except for our water valve")?

Comment

The water valve was designed before S2 was out. At some point it may get updated but there are quite a few costs in doing that, so holding off for now.

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
              What's the reason for not supporting S2 in the HomeSeer water valves ("except for our water valve")?

Comment

The water valve was designed before S2 was out. At some point it may get updated but there are quite a few costs in doing that, so holding off for now.
                Are we talking firmware or would it require hardware updates? If hardware, I would assume that maybe the controller, rather than the entire assembly, could be "updated". Hoping that reduces upgrade costs significantly.

The reason I'm asking is that I purchased a number of these valves, and am wondering what my path forward is for adding S2 security down the road.

Comment

Since it is already Z-Wave+ it should just be a firmware upgrade. I don't have date for this however.

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
                  Are we talking firmware or would it require hardware updates? If hardware, I would assume that maybe the controller, rather than the entire assembly, could be "updated". Hoping that reduces upgrade costs significantly.

The reason I'm asking is that I purchased a number of these valves, and am wondering what my path forward is for adding S2 security down the road.

Comment

Since it is already Z-Wave+ it should just be a firmware upgrade. I don't have date for this however.
                    Cool, thanks rjh - I need to order one more 1" valve too! :-)

Comment

OK. I read this post 3 times but install is still not clear. If we want to test the S2 version, do we install WITH the normal Z-Wave (running both at the same time) or replace the current Z-Wave with the S2 version?

Michael
                      HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
                      Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                      BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

Installing this plugin will replace your existing one. You can go back if you need to.

Originally posted by Jobee View Post
                        OK. I read this post 3 times but install is still not clear. If we want to test the S2 version, do we install WITH the normal Z-Wave (running both at the same time) or replace the current Z-Wave with the S2 version?

Michael

Comment

Thank you.

I shut down zwave plug in and updated to the S2 version. Reactivated and plug in but it would not connect to my 2 ZNets. I rebooted the ZNets and then it connected.

Michael
                          HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
                          Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                          BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

So if a device (actuator/switch) that does NOT support S2, connects to an interface (HomeSeer SmartStick+) that DOES support S2 and is running the S2 plugin, the device is still able to be used by operating in 'unauthenticated' mode?

Comment

All HomeSeer devices currently for sale (except for our water valve) now include S2 support.
                              I interpret this to mean all devices manufactured by HomeSeer.

Devices of other brands but which are sold through shop.homeseer.com do not necessarily carry S2 support.

Comment

Working...
                              X