Tell Me More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell Me More

I'm drooling on the keyboard. I need more info! Give us all the juicy details of this Z-Wave thingy.

I did some searching this morning and came up with a couple of interesting bits of information. Check out

http://www.zen-sys.com/

also this

http://www.haspro.com/1129.html

The Zensys site has some interesting information in their press section.

Comment

http://www.act-solutions.com/HomePro.htm
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

From the PDF on the ZR100 Wall Mounted switch:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The Wall Mounted switch is protected by an internal fuse. This internal fuse is factory serviceable only. Check your home circuit breakers before concluding that the product must be returned to manufacturer for repair at a nominal charge. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On occasion, I've had circuit breakers trip when a light bulb blows. That's not a big deal - just replace the bulb and reset the breaker. Since this switch is rated at 15 amps, I assume the fuse is 15 amps. My circuit breakers are 20 amps. That could mean the fuse in this switch could blow before the breaker trips. That would be an enormous headache. I know the idea is to blow the fuse before more expensive circuitry, but I would like to think the switch is engineered to withstand a very brief over-current situation without damage (even the fuse). That would give the breaker time to trip before any damage is done. Could this be an achilles heel of these devices?

Comment

Come on DC, since when did "factory serviceable only" ever apply to you?

Comment

Their dimmer switch is apparently only rated for 300 Watts. This is cutting it too close for chandeliers and banks of recessed lights.

Mark
            Mark

Comment

But it'll be a while before they do. It's taken years and years for the X-10 line to include as many switch options as it does... even if Z-Wave really does take over (the way CEbus and a dozen other "next new thing" predicted X-10-killers never did) it'll be a while, but they'll eventually get there.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs

[This message was edited by Hunter Green on Mon, 25 August 2003 at 09:06 PM.]
              News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

is ramp rate available on lamp module and wall switch ?

Comment

Hi Hunter,

I Quote.........

No reason they couldn't make higher-voltage units...

But it'll be a while before they do. It's taken years and years for the X-10 line to include as many switch options as it does... etc.

I agree that to dislodge and take over from X10 may or not happen. However, regarding making a higher voltage product, I think this may be a case of them making a lower voltage product for the US market. Zensys is a Danish company, albiet it has offices in San Fran and New York, I suspect the product may have been developed here in Europe. If that is the case it puts a slightly different picture on things, as they could be dealing with a much larger market place than previous contenders to X10.

Just a though!
                  Gogs.
                  sigpic
                  A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I posted a quick blurb about 220V/50Hz availability here. More information as we get it.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
                    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gogs:
                      However, regarding making a higher voltage product, I think this may be a case of them making a lower voltage product for the US market.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually you caught me in a mistyping -- I was responding to the previous posts, but when I said "voltage" I meant to say (as those before me said) "wattage". I've corrected the above post.

Nucleus Home Automation | System Specs
                      News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

Working...
                      X