Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried this technology yet?

Any reports god/bad / indifferent?

Whats the minimum harware required to get started? If you buy the computer interface do you still need a remote to program the devices?

-Rupp

So what's the speed of dark?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Rupp,

I placed an order for the remote and an appliance module from HST last week, due to arrive this coming Wednesday.

The computer interface won't be available until October, so we'll have to wait on that I guess.

As I understand it, the remote is what keeps the configs of the modules in sync with each other and assigns the "house code" (only one per system) and unit codes to the modules. So yes, you need it. There is a more detailed description of how this works somewhere in this section, from Rich.

Bill

Comment

I placed an order for one each of the items from HS Tech. Due here on Tues. According to instructions, you do need at least one remote which is your primary remote that is used to program the modules (I guess its like setting the unit and house code for the module). As I understand it, each remote has a unique ID signature and when you program your modules to your master remote, they only will respond to commands from devices using that signature.

I bought the modules to test them and see what types of features they offer and compare them to my X10 devices. I am on the waiting list for the USB interface in Oct. and at the present time, plan to run both types at the same time. Once I get the modules in and have a chance to test/compare them, I will post what I find.

The Pod

Comment

Take a look at the inscructions for lots of info.

ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/pub/ZTH100_Inst.pdf

Jeff Farmer
        HomeSeer user since March, 2000

--
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Those install instructions can be very cofusing, but the system is actually quite simple.

You are correct, the remote is used to associate a module with your home. By default a module is "unowned" and cannot be controlled. You select "add group" on the remote, then select a group #, and add a module to a group (key on the remote). The remote then waits for you to press the button on the module. (every z-wave device will have a button on it). When you press the button the module is added to the zwave network and assigned your unique "home id". The remote now knows about this module, as well as all modules around it. The remote keeps track of the location of each module so it knows how to route information to each node. This is important. If you unplug a module, you need to remove it from the network and re-add it at its new location. This is done through the setup menu in the remote (its called "reset unit").

Note that the remote will add a module to a group so you can assign many modules to a single key on the remote. Pressing this one key will control all modules. You can remove modules from a group, but the remote still knows about this module, even if its not assigned to any group. (Its not actually removed from the network) This is important since when you download all module information to HS, it will then know about all modules, even the ones not actually assigned to any keys on the remote.

There are 2 types of controllers, primary and secondary (actually there is another, but its not used yet). There can only be one primary controller in your home, and its the only controller that can learn new nodes. You can copy all learned information to another remote, or HS. If you attempt to learn a new module with a secondary remote, it will fail. This makes it impossible for a neighbor to learn or control any of your modules.

For example: You learn 5 modules with your primary remote, then copy all this information to a second remote. The second remote is now a secondary controller. When you copy the remote, you can make an exact copy (so all the keys control all the same modules), or you can just copy the module information. If you just copy the module information, you can then re-assign the keys to any modules you like. You might use this remote in a different room and assign different modules to the # keys. You can create as many secondary remotes as you like. These remotes can act like table top controllers in X10. You assign modules to keys by selecting add group on the remote and then pressing the button on the module. You create scenes the same way. Select "add scene", then a scene number, then press the button on a module and adjust the light level with the button.

I don't use the primary remote as a controller and keep it stored in a safe place. I use secondary remotes for actual control. HS will have the ability to re-build a primary remote should your original primary remote get lost or fail.

Hope this gives a better understanding on how the system works. The docs tell you how to use the system but not actually how it works.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC

Comment

Rich,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The remote now knows about this module, as well as all modules around it. The remote keeps track of the location of each module so it knows how to route information to each node. This is important. If you unplug a module, you need to remove it from the network and re-add it at its new location. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If location also plays a key in the function of z-wave as to how to route the signal. How important is it to learn the modules with the remote. Does the remote need to be in a similar location each time you go to learn a new module? How critical is it to learn the modules each time? If you have a bedroom lamp module on one wall and rearange the furniture, and move the lamp module to the other wall, is it critical to relearn this on the remote? Do you need to remove it before moving it?

The Pod

Comment

You always need to learn new devices with your primary controller, and this will always be a handheld remote. The remote needs to be within 2 meters of the module you are learning. In theory, HS could actually do the learning, but you would then need to move the HS computer next to each new module you are learning. (obviously not desirable)

If the module is being moved to a new location in the same room, you probably don't need to remove it from the network and re-add it. If you move it to another room, you should remove it and re-add it at the new location.

Note that you may find that in your particular home that no routing is taking place. In my home, the PC can access all modules directly, so in this case you can freely move modules to new locations without re-adding them.

-Rich

Comment

I received a controller, lamp module and appliance module late last week. It works as advertised. I tested it by putting the lamp module at the far end of the house and trying from outside the frond door. The controller informs you what happens in both success and faulure cases, a very nice feature. When I got beyond range, I plugged in the applicance module on the inside of the house near the front door. I could then successfully access the lamp module from 50 feet further down the driveway.

I am anxous to get a computer interface. Is these any spec yet for what functions will be supported?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Helmke (HomeSeer Tech):
                  Note that you may find that in your particular home that no routing is taking place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  Rich:
                  How do you know if routing is taking place?

More specifically: If you have a large installation, and more than a minimal amount of routing is required, is there a way to see the network's topology? Can it be manipulated? Is there an algorithm published on how the routing is determined?

Sorry for being so inquisitive.

Comment

Rocco,

I guess I expected that question. There are some software tools that show the network topology. I'm not sure if they work with the USB interface or not, I will check on that. If so, I might be able to add some of this information to HS, or make the tool available.

You can also prove if routing is happening by unpluging your modules and then see if the remote can control them. You probably only need to test the furthest module.

-Rich

Comment

Rupp,
                      My z-wave items came in yesterday. They are very quick to respond and the nice fact that the repeater function helps route the command to the correct module really entends the RF range. Here are some of my opinions on these items:

PRO: Very very fast response.
                      PRO: Repeater function of wireless entends range
                      PRO: Supports polling.
                      PRO: Appliance module about 75% quieter than X10
                      PRO: Lamp module fade on/fade off
                      PRO: reasonably priced
                      PRO: very easy to program and setup
                      PRO: local control can be disabled

CON: more than twice the size of X10 module
                      CON: ramp settings not adjustable on lamp module
                      CON: remembers last dim setting (not a preset dim)
                      CON: remote has 6 speed buttons. if you have more than 6, you need to use the arrow buttons to tab through all modules to get to the one you want to control (this could be a real pain if you have the 64 items on the remote.)
                      CON: local control involves pressing the button on the unit (hard to do if behind the couch).

I do expect that the USB interface and HS will give us much more options than just the remote. Have to wait until Oct. for that. I don't know if I will go 100% z-wave, but I will have a mixed system, just not sure what type of percentage of x10 vs z-wave I'll end up with.

The Pod

Comment

I obtained some zwave stuff from a guy who went to compose. Since I do not have the USB interface I have only used the hand controller but it works great. I have never had the system miss a command. The one area it gets confused with, as does most X10 items, is when the item is manually turned on.

If this works out as I expect, must of my house will be switched to zwave as soon as I can do it. I might even change my RCS thermostat. It has the X10 hickup occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                        X