EyeTimer - Looks like Z-wave to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EyeTimer - Looks like Z-wave to me

I read an article in the local paper about a time-control package: www.eyetimer.com. Looks like a Z-Wave USB device to me...And a good application for my house.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Eyetimer Software runs on your PC and acts as the "brain" of the system. Using the same technology as a cordless phone, EyeTimer turns on or off all the televisions, computers, and video games in your house. And it's tamper-proof, so your kids won't find their way around the system. For an interactive diagram explaining EyeTimer, click here.

*We're working on a version for pets!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah my cat is the real problem. Keeps tying up the computer.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And it's tamper-proof, so your kids won't find their way around the system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must have tested this on animals. Most kids I know figure out really quickly how to pull the powercord of the video game/tv out of the eyetimer (or X-10 appliance) module and plug it directly into the wall...... Eyetimer (hs game timer) hacked.

The Pod

Comment

Yes, this is zwave, but they use their own protocol so its not compatible with a standard zwave system. The USB interface is also custom and will not work with other software.

HS has the features of this system built in with the tv/game timer stuff.

As for pulling the plug, I simply told the kids that they would be grounded for a month if they touched the plug. That took care that problem.

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
        πŸ’‍♂️ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹‍♂️ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Their method of "tamper proof":
          <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Q. What’s preventing my child from unplugging the TV from the EyeTimer Switch?

A. EyeTimer comes with special tamper-proof tape, that, when removed, creates a visible mark.
          Parents tape the TV plug into the EyeTimer Switch. For added security, we recommend that parents
          sign his/her name on the EyeTimer tamper-proof tape. Such a system is nearly 100% tamper proof
          for even the most mischievous children.
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul

Comment

I thought the tamper-proof tape was a simple yet effective solution.

I have two teenagers that already have PC time control software (www.sarna.net/watchdog)It works fine for their PC's, but TV is another problem. The Homeseer Game control is cool, but a little more flexability (different limits on weekends, cutoff at 10:00 pm, etc) would be nice.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Helmke (HomeSeer Tech):

HS has the features of this system built in with the tv/game timer stuff.

As for pulling the plug, I simply told the kids that they would be grounded for a month if they touched the plug. That took care that problem.

-Rich

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Steve in Socal that the TV/Game timer could be a bit more flexible, perhaps add in to the scripting interface as well. I use it for my son's Internet access, but would like different time limits at different times, as well as warnings based upon time remaining.

http://shadowscope.com
              Legend of the Green Dragon
              Black Nova Traders
              DOS-based BBS

Comment

hi everyone,

just to clarify some of the questions on this board:

1. the underlying eyetimer technology is mostly zwave, but all of the componetry is customized - eyetimer modules (aka switches) are tamper-proof.

2. at the core of eyetimer is very sophisticated software that is truly unique:
                - it is software, not z-wave, that "locks" computers. so computers are are not shut off "dirty" at their power source.
                - our software has all kinds of features to facilitate "time budgeting" of entertainment to kids in a household. for example: website and application logging, study mode, etc.

thank you for your interest in eyetimer. the average american kid spends over 40 hours per week in front of TV, computers, and video games, and we'd like to see them get more fresh air! if you have further questions about eyetimer please feel free to email us.

Comment

Working...
                X