X10 vs Z-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 vs Z-wave

I'm thinking of expanding my X10 system by adding 20-30 new switches, controls etc. I'm wondering whether to stick with X10 or switch to Z-Wave. I'd be interested in knowing what other Homeseers have done. Any comments regarding rationale etc. would be appreciated.

Would you:
    Stick with X10
    0.00%
    Go Z-Wave and phase out X10 as units fail
    0.00%
    Have both Z-Wave and X10
    50.00%
    Discontinue X10 and go Z-Wave all the way
    50.00%
    Other
    0.00%

Yeah, I said it. I'm sticking with X10.
    So far it's proved more reliable. If the zwave products had met any of their marketing hype I'd probably use a hybrid system, zwave for motion detectors and in places where I currently use RF w/MR26A. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, the zwave product makers have lost me due to their lack of delivery. Zwave might be the best thing since sliced bread but they're not bringing it to market in a timely fashion and I can't wait much longer. At this point in time I'll be fishing new cat-5 to the places where my motion detectors need to be and trying to make my ocelot watch em. From all I've seen and heard that'd be the most reliable setup.

Comment

RBC,
      I chose "Have both Z-wave and X10" manly because there are no 3-way Z-Wave light switches available yet. If these were available I would go totally Z-wave in the light switch area. As far as reliability goes I have never had one single problem with any of my current z-wave switches. I poll all of them and the communications has been 100%. I use the USB controller and my nearest switch is now about 75 feet away. There is no way to Discontinue X10 if you want motion sensors, X10 cameras, door/window sensors, etc.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks all for your comments.

For those who plan to use both X10 and Z-wave, which devices do you plan to keep X10 and which will be Z-wave?

One item I like to use is the KeypadLinc available at Smarthome. http://www.smarthomepro.com/12064w.html

Is there a Z-wave equivalent of this? If not, would this limit the usefulness of Z-wave?

Thanks.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One item I like to use is the KeypadLinc available at Smarthome. http://www.smarthomepro.com/12064w.html

Is there a Z-wave equivalent of this? If not, would this limit the usefulness of Z-wave?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet and probably will not be one for a long while. So far there are only light switches and relays and wall modules, both regular and appliance type.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

My recent bout with X10 problems has made me rethink the Z-Wave as the way to go. I am at the point to where my next purchase will be z-wave. I will be testing it from there. I believe as with anything else the more of it they sell the more features we will see.

AB

Comment

Sticking with X-10 for now, which with some work and planning, has been very reliable. Z-Wave has potential, but there are some other wireless standards emerging as well, and in my mind there is no guarentee that Z-Wave will be the winner.

Comment

I second what anogee said. Also, I need too many devices that aren't currently supported in Zwave.
                Martin Custer

Comment

In the area of device control, what is there that has been submitted as a potential standard other than Zigbee?

(And Zensys is a member of Zigbee don't forget...)
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

There seems to be many standards that have sprung out of the woodwork lately, and in my mind it doesn't really matter if its wireless or not, as long as it accomplishes its task. For example Universal Power Bus (UPB) from PCS looks pretty strong. While devices now are expensive, all involved claim that the technology is cheap to produce.

In wireless, there certainly is Zigbee. Yes, Zensys is a member of the Zigbee Alliance, but that really only indicates that they want to watch the Zigbee folks, it doesn't mean that one company has much control over it. I only need to point you to BluRay HD DVD format wars, the multi-channel UWB wars, etc. to see that "alliances" can breakup fast. Maybe the Zigbee folks will never move forward on their HA plans, but if they chose to, I think a standards based Zigbee solutions could be more compelling than proprietary solutions.

Even other than Zigbee and Z-Wave, there are others out there. I can't remember who at this moment, but I was reading about a big company (GE?) that created another wireless standard and was prepairing to launch it. Then there is the Echelon folks that are still working on LonWorks. The CEBus folks and the HomePlug folks are investigating. I've even heard that the Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance (WECA) is investigating home automation control over WLAN.

Will all these work out? Definitly not, but there is enough going on to make you wonder and its much too early to claim that Z-Wave will be the "next X10."

Comment

Working...
                    X