Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving a module from one side of the house to the other.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a module from one side of the house to the other.

If I want to move one z-wave module from one side of the house to the other and then add a new module what do I need to do? Is there a way to replace one module with another (differnt type) with the remote as well as add a new one? OR do I have to re-add all modules.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

i can't picture the steps right now but i am sure there is a way to remove a device from your remote. It may require you to remove a entire group but you should not need to relearn all the devices.

If you can not remove just one or just one group it would be benificial to go ahead and relearn them all. If you don't then you may run into maping problems with the mesh network which might cause unexpected behavior.

I personally have take wall modules from the top of my townhome and placed them in the basement without relearning them to the remote and they work just fine. But if your doing it by the book you would want to relearn them

Comment

The "right" way to move a node is to:
      Using the Handheld remote control (sylvania is the one I have)
      Menu->Setup->Reset Unit->OK
      then press the button on the Unit.

This will remove the node from the network and it will go back to being "blank".

Then take it to the new location and add it back to the network as usual.

The reason you want to do this is that the module will "discover" it's neighbors when you add it to the network. Then it will know which nodes it can route thru when it needs to.

In most networks this isn't all that important since virtually all nodes can reach their destination directly. But if you've got thick walls or a really big house this will be important.

Z-Wave has the ability to "rediscover" the network but it isn't currently supported in Homeseer. This is a good thing to do especially if you have dead spots or move things around occasionally.

Eric

Comment

Actually I think the limitation on rediscovery is with the USB interface, not sure though.

Keep in mind the one other step is that after you move the module, you have to re-learn (copy) the master to the HS interface or it will continue to try to operate with the old network configuration and will not work properly.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
        X