Z-wave Optimize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave Optimize?

So I am rebuilding my system and adding a bunch of new HS Z-Wave devices to it and I have a questions about network optimization. Back in the 2.0 days I used to run a setting on my system that ran optimize every night for several hours, and it kept my Z-Wave network in great shape. As I keep adding nodes I have been optimizing, but I remember reading something way back that said you needed to optimize 4 times before all the routes were learned.

Is this still a thing? How do you guys optimize your networks? Do you do it regularly?

Thanks in advance!

The automatic scheduled optimization has been removed. It is believed that it was really not a good idea. Optimization becomes less important once a significant portion of devices are Z-Wave plus. If your network is static there is also no need to repeatedly optimize. I manually optimized my entire network in 2016. I was careful to clear the route on devices close enough to communicate directly. Then I manually optimized the more distant nodes. Since then I have only optimized new devices and those directly near the new one. You can usually look at the routing shown under node info and tell if they make sense. You can clear the route or assign one arbitrarily using an intermediate node that is located between a more distant node and the controller. My last full optimization was about two years ago. We have 0 routing related problems or errors. We might see a command failed error in the log once a month.

With Z-Wave plus optimization is probably not needed as they can figure out a route on their own with explorer frames.

EDIT: While I wrote "manually optimize" that is not really accurate. I should have written "manually create a route".
    Last edited by randy; August 20, 2018, 01:05 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

OK cool, that makes perfect sense. My network is not static right now as I am still adding nodes, but the idea of simply optimizing the new nodes themselves as I add them makes sense. Once i am done with what I am doing now I will have around 45 overall nodes with probably 30+ of them being Z-Wave Plus. I am in the process of putting about 25 of the new 200 series Homeseer switches in.

Thanks a lot Randy

Comment

Working...
      X