Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backup Z-Wave Network and Migrate to a New Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Z-Wave Network and Migrate to a New Computer?

I'm in the planning stages for acquiring a new computer for my HS server.
    How do I backup my Z-Wave network and then transfer all the settings/devices to the new computer?

I am using a HomeSeer SmartStick + USB interface.
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

The network is stored in the controller. If your new installation uses the same controller, the network will still be intact. If you are moving your HS database from the old computer, you will not need to backup and restore the Z-Wave network. Is your new computer running the same O/S?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

i've done this many time , if you are using the same controller on the new OS then all what you need to do really is backup your homeseer folder in ProgramFiles , install homeseer on the new computer and replace the folder in the Programfiles , launch Homeseer and go to the zwave plugin settings and map the correct COM port and you are good to go

Comment

i've done it form windows to linux . All went well too. All is in the controller and that's a nice thing with z wave

Comment

Thank you everyone that posted.
          Verifying that everyone saw I have a USB Smart Stick+
          Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Is your new computer running the same O/S?
            Going from Win 7 to Win 10.

Dan-O

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
              Going from Win 7 to Win 10.

If they are both 64-bit versions, you should be able to copy over your entire HomeSeer HS3 folder and all subfolders. Then all you need to do is check that the correct Com port is assigned to the SmartStick+.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Unfortunately I can't seem to get this to work.

Scenario:
                Currently have HS3 (latest version) running under Windows using a SmartStick+ (500 series). I want to migrate to Linux prior to migrating to HS4.

I setup a new Ubuntu server (20.4) with all appropriate Mono, etc. I installed the latest version of HS3 and the latest versions of all necessary plugins. I also installed a couple of Jon00 helpers and tested everything with a default HS config (not my active configuration) - all works just fine.

On my current system I have done a backup of HS (Tools -> Setup -> Backup Config), shut down HS and then migrated my SmartStick+ to the new server (i.e., move it). I then restored the backup on the Linux HS3. Since the ports have changed (COM2 -> /dev/ttyUSB0) I let HS restart and then update the port info for Z-Wave (tried via UI and then .ini file after letting HS restart/restart again). In every situation the Z-Wave nodes get disconnected from the HS devices. If I go into Z-wave Node information I see all of the nodes but with default names. If I go into the HS device and look at the Z-Wave tab it gives the following error:
                "Error: Z-Wave device has empty ROOT object, it may have lost its reference to the actual Z-Wave device, try resetting the Z-Wave database from Z-Wave Config" followed by another error under the Settings heading: "
                Error getting Z-Wave device Settings UI: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I have tried various ways to reconnect - import z-wave node info, Scan existing devices (both lite and full), etc. The best case scenario is I have managed to create duplicate HS devices connected to the Z-wave nodes. These devices work - they get events from the z-wave devices that update the hs status. However it will take a lot of work to essentially move to these new devices - rather not do that if I can.

I feel like I'm missing something - shouldn't this be relatively simple to backup/restore and get a replacement system up and running?

If anyone has suggestions as to how to do this correctly I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
                -Jeff

Comment

just a heads up, if you are using the latest zwave plugin 3.0.7.0 and the Homeseer Smartstick+ you will probably have issues if you try to restore a backup https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...ld#post1495982

Comment

I did something similar and I just did it the hard way. A new computer and a new network.

Comment

Working...
                    X