Why do I get " HomeSeer is being used as an installation tool only."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I get " HomeSeer is being used as an installation tool only."

I can't seem to find how to take Homeseer out of this Installation tool mode?

the message I get is Instant status and sensor wake-up notifications are not being programmed because HomeSeer is being used as an installation tool only.

Please help

I have had this on several devices and it is deeply annoying to say the least as it's usually instant notification devices, like PIRs, temp and luminance sensors that appear to cause it, in my experience at any rate. But primarily in my case it tends to be security type devices, PIRs, locks etc. I get the whole security thing but it's not much use being secure and unusable, I'd prefer a "this is working but isn't secure, please fix it".

Some I've managed to workround by recanning, often multiple times before it all gets with the program and works but other times, it doesn't.

What is frustrating is that some work, some don't. Even the same product can behave differently on different occasions and, the same device in multiples can all behave differently with some working just fine, others not.

Some I've messed with the parameters, which I hate doing in case I bork a device, and they then work, some not.

Tried resetting devices and that doesn't work.

Powering them down, restarting, usually. a non-starter.

Tried reimporting, adding unsecure those don't work either.

Whilst that doesn't solve your problem I hope it might save you some time and, bring this thread to life and see if anybody can come up with a solution or suggestions that might help others with this problem as I have to say, it's extremely frustrating and there seem no definitive answers to what causes it or how to cure it.

I have rescanned, rescanned, rescanned then rescanned some more and sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not which is hardly ideal.

K.

Comment

I got a bit of somewhere on this, not solved then all yet but at least a couple.

I don't think this is an HS problem.

I think this is a Zwave problem.

I have been experimenting with a small Neo sensor as I have a few and I cracked it with those, it's an association issue on those.

Basically, for others and myself when I forget (which I will) if you go to the root of the device and associate it with the HS primary Zwave controller (probably would work with a secondary etc but I don't have one to test the theory there) then it should all just work. Certainly, I now have all those devices showing up and behaving exactly as I would expect.

Why this is I cannot say but I'd bet it was something to do with the standards or guidelines for Zwave and not HS.

I have other devices I'm still messing with as they don't play nice either, a Steinel outdoor light which would be fantastic if it all worked but alas, for now it does not. That though ain't as simple as it's a "multi endpoint device" that I need to study up on as there's all manners of trickery there.

And a Yale door lock with a Zwave module that simply refuses to talk to HS.

There's nothing to be lost from trying, if it borks, reset the device and try something else but hopefully this will help people that get this error.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by kwatt View Post
        I got a bit of somewhere on this, not solved then all yet but at least a couple.

I don't think this is an HS problem.

I think this is a Zwave problem.

I have been experimenting with a small Neo sensor as I have a few and I cracked it with those, it's an association issue on those.

Basically, for others and myself when I forget (which I will) if you go to the root of the device and associate it with the HS primary Zwave controller (probably would work with a secondary etc but I don't have one to test the theory there) then it should all just work. Certainly, I now have all those devices showing up and behaving exactly as I would expect.

Why this is I cannot say but I'd bet it was something to do with the standards or guidelines for Zwave and not HS.

I have other devices I'm still messing with as they don't play nice either, a Steinel outdoor light which would be fantastic if it all worked but alas, for now it does not. That though ain't as simple as it's a "multi endpoint device" that I need to study up on as there's all manners of trickery there.

And a Yale door lock with a Zwave module that simply refuses to talk to HS.

There's nothing to be lost from trying, if it borks, reset the device and try something else but hopefully this will help people that get this error.

K.
        Did you ever get anywhere with the Steinel light working with hs as I am looking at both the flood light and up/down lighter?

Cheers

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

Kinda.

I kept rescanning it and got most all the functions to show up but it can be flaky.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by kwatt View Post
            Hi Dan,

Kinda.

I kept rescanning it and got most all the functions to show up but it can be flaky.

K.
            Thanks for your reply.

I have ordered a couple to play with. Not cheap!

I found a website which sell them and clearly indicated they are compatible with HS https://www.robbshop.nl/sensor-buitenlamp-met-z-wave?sqr=steinel&

HS Support say it should work and if not they may be able to help me out. (Would need to send them the lights)
            The manufacturer says it should work with any Zwave certified controller, but this seems common bs with all manufacturers!

Out of interest, what controller are you using??

Another site shows that the zwave.me usb is fully compatible which I have but I dont know what revision mine is,

Comment

Sorry, I am using the HS Z-Net.

And no, I've not cocked this yet.

K.

Comment

I have given up on trying to add the Steinel PIR lights. I have tried twice and the first time it broke ALL of my z-wave system requiring a complete re-install. The second time it only partly added the device and wouldn't update. I eventually reverted to a backup and decided to forget about using the Z-Wave functionality! I wouldn't buy these again!!

That was using a z-net. The problem was exacerbated by the fact that HS won't recover z-wave data to the z-net controller, which I find totally unacceptable! If you have one of the newer EU/UK z-nets with the z-wave dongle in the USB port, it won't do a z-wave recovery!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                X