Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading a Z-Troller to a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Good Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading a Z-Troller to a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Good Idea?

I have had a Z-Troller hooked up to HomeSeer HomeTroller PRO Home Automation Controller (to a PC before that) for as long as I can remember. I was thinking of updating it to a "Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Z-Wave Plus USB". So:

1. Should I (pros/cons)?
    2. Is there a better Z-Wave Troller/Gateway?
    3. If so, is the a resource on how to upgrade my network?

Thanks for any input.

Aeotec UZB's do not work well with HS, this is documented.
    If you are in the US and after just another radio (UZB), then just use the HS device.

Our clients use this, you should be able to find a similar model in your locale.
    Black Cat UZB Z-Wave Static controller. UZB Static Controller for Home Automation Systems such as Home Seer, Indigo, Raspberry Pi, Home Assistant etc. Proven BackUp & Restore with Home Seer.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Have you considered a Z-Net? They have less restrictions for placement and have a Z-Wave Plus radio, so have better coverage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Cat View Post
          Aeotec UZB's do not work well with HS, this is documented.
          If you are in the US and after just another radio (UZB), then just use the HS device.

Our clients use this, you should be able to find a similar model in your locale.
          In what way? I had a zwave.me stick that was awful, constant delays with commands. Switched to Aeotec and it's been flawless since. Be interested what these documented problems are - would you mind pointing me in the direction of them?

Comment

Plenty of advice and different reasons given by a google search.
            Each to their own, just passing on verbal communication from several customers who swapped out the AEOtec for another UZB and found Command Classes that where previously not recognised.
            Best to check what SDK is on the stick first.

Comment

I have the Aeotec, the SmartStick+, and the UZB (Z-Wave.me).

Don't get the Aeotec - For some odd reason, it does not support Z-Wave network restore on HomeSeer (at least not on HS3 Pro on Windows). So even if you do a network backup, you won't be able to restore it to the Aeotec.

The Smartstick+ and Uzb sticks both work fine. According to data on the Z-wave alliance web site, the UZB stick (https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2030) is built with a more up-to-date version of the z-Wave library (6.61.0) versus the HomeSeer SmartStick+ which uses library 6.51.06 (https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1363). Not sure if there is anything significant to this, but my default assumption is that they may have fixed something or other in the library.

Lately, I've been having trouble with adding devices to HomeSeer (it seems to have followed adding some energy meters with S2 support, even though I added them non-securely). Because of this, I am going to try a different stick using a more up-to-date Zwave library. The zooz ZST10 seems to be the most "up to date" and the only one that indicates S2 support. See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Its supposed to be delivered to me on Nov. 7, and I can let you know of any impressions after that date.
              Last edited by jvm; November 5, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I was going to get the Aeotec but will wait now and I will be waiting to hear how the S2 stick works, if you can backup and restore and it has good range I will probably update.
                Thanks Dave..

Comment

I did get the Zooz and I'm glad I did. I've been having trouble adding my Aeotec Energy Meters to HomeSeer using my SmartStick+. When I switched to the Zooz stick, they now add properly and work fine. My guess is that the "old" z-wave library development kit used in the SmartStick+ just wasn't compatible with the energy meters, while the updated Zooz stick works. So that's a big plus!

On the negative side, even though the Zooz supports backup and restore, for some reason, I could not restore the backup made from the SmartStick so now I'm having to re-add all my devices (about 100) and re-created events. Not sure if that's a problem with the Zooz stick or if its HomeSeer not fully supporting the new interface. Re-adding devices is probably going to take me multiple days to do, but at least the energy meters work properly and that was the bigger concern for me.

So I'd rank them
                  Zooz
                  SmartStick+
                  Aeotec
                  UZB

Comment

I just purchased the Zooz ZST10 S2 USB stick as well for a new HS3 Pro installation. What Interface Model did you select in the HS3 ZWave controller setup since Zooz is not listed? I used HomeSeer SmartStick +. With this setting, I was able to add and control the Zwave devices (switches and thermostats) but I am having trouble getting any click events to be recognized (i.e. double-click a switch toggle to run an HS3 event). Have this working on a different HS3 with the SmartStick. Not sure if my issue is the Zooz but wanted to check to see how I should set this up. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post
                      I did get the Zooz and I'm glad I did. I've been having trouble adding my Aeotec Energy Meters to HomeSeer using my SmartStick+. When I switched to the Zooz stick, they now add properly and work fine. My guess is that the "old" z-wave library development kit used in the SmartStick+ just wasn't compatible with the energy meters, while the updated Zooz stick works. So that's a big plus!

On the negative side, even though the Zooz supports backup and restore, for some reason, I could not restore the backup made from the SmartStick so now I'm having to re-add all my devices (about 100) and re-created events. Not sure if that's a problem with the Zooz stick or if its HomeSeer not fully supporting the new interface. Re-adding devices is probably going to take me multiple days to do, but at least the energy meters work properly and that was the bigger concern for me.

So I'd rank them
                      Zooz
                      SmartStick+
                      Aeotec
                      UZB
                      Any news ???? i want to transfer my network to the zooz stick... but I have the same problem rjh

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post

Any news ???? i want to transfer my network to the zooz stick... but I have the same problem rjh
                        I got the Zooz S2 stick and, once I had it working, haven't risked doing a network restore to it, so I can't give you any guidance. I do note that, on startup, I still get a Z-Wave warning that states the Zooz stick is using an unknown Z-Wave library version. See log section, below. Maybe this is what caused the inability to restore an existing network to the stick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	585
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1295506

Comment

Thanks. I think the plugin needs an update.

Comment

Just sent a an email to zooz. requesting them to send a unit to Homeseer, since they advertise it ''WORKS'' with HomeSeer

Comment

I restored from z-troller to z-net without issue. It's worth the money!
                              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                              X