Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting started

I've an extensive X-10 based Homeseer system.

I've spent some time over the past few days reading through the Z Wave manual and the Z Wave pages here in this forum before I purchase my first Z Wave module. If successful I'll no doubt purchase more...

I'd like to clarify something first though.

Just to to get started the minimum I'm going to need to buy is:

- the USB interface,
    - a remote
    - and one appliance or lamp module?

The software interface in the wonderful Homeseer being already built in and FOC!

It's really the remote expense I'm querying. From what I've read you need that to set up the appliance or lamp module codes. Once that's done, and if Homeseer is doing all the controlling therefater, the remote is redundant. Correct?

My second question (and I'll admit I haven't looked very hard for answser to this yet) is, are the remote codes widely available for programming learning remotes like Pronto?

TIA

Malcolm
    Malcolm

Hi,
    The remote is your master key to the system. You need this to program modules. It protects you from your neighbor trying to hack into your system. The remote is the key to it all.
    Stuart

Comment

Thanks Stuart. Maybe I'm being a bit short sited but it is an additional expense in comparison to when I started with X10. I can't see me using it at all after initial setup as Homeseer will be my main control point. :-(

Malcolm
      Malcolm

Comment

MalcolmS,
        I'm with you on this but unfortunately the ZWave system is useless without the remote. I use it once every couple of months to learn a new device and then its used to load the data into the ZWave USB device. After that it's put up until the next new device. It's tough to get started but once you do you'll never look back. It's a shame there aren't 3 way switches available though.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You are correct that the remote is NOT needed other than for adding new nodes to the system. It is a handheld remote for the convenience of operating devices from the couch.

You cannot teach any learning remote the Z-Wave codes as there are no learning remotes that operate/learn RF in that frequency range or modulation scheme.

Rupp - I have heard a rumor of 3-way switches next month, but it was just a rumor. They should not be far away however. My 22 nodes will quickly expand when that happens!
          Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

What a forum! Thanks guys.

There I was about to order my Z Wave stuff, then I thought I'd sleep on it. Only I couldn't (sleep) so I got up posted my query here went back to sleep and then when I got up this morning there was my answer!

Thanks everyone - I've now ordered my first Z Wave kit - a USB, a remote and 3 lamp modules.

>>there are no learning remotes that
            >>operate/learn RF in that frequency
            >>range or modulation scheme.

Rick - my Pronto is modified and includes a 310Mhz RF unit as well ( I could change it to 433 Mhz if req'd). What frequency do the Z Wave remotes work at??

TIA

Malcolm
            Malcolm

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of Z-Wave, you will never look back.

It is not just the frequency, the remote would have to understand the Z-Wave protocol, which is bi-directional, the remote sends and receives data.

I don't use the remote at all. For those few lights I control manually I use a palmpad and some HomeSeer events that control the Z-Wave lights.

Bill

Comment

What Bill wrote is the big reason RF universal remotes won't work with ZW, but if you want more reason, ZW in North America is 908.42MHz
                Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
                X