Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS3 not detecting pressed buttons on Cooper Scene Controller in real time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 not detecting pressed buttons on Cooper Scene Controller in real time.

So hear me out guys, I just installed a Cooper Scene Controller to my HomeTroller Zee S2 system yesterday, closely following this video by Mark.

The initial setup went as seen on the video, so I'm assuming everything is properly set up. I also added it as a trigger for a couple of events.

The issue I'm seeing is the following:

When I press a button on the scene controller, the event tied to the button is not executed, not only that but when I go to the HS3 web interface, I can see that the HomeTroller Zee S2 wasn't told that the button was pressed on the scene controller, the status remains/stays at "scene off". After seeing this I performed a manual polling status on HS3, and immediately during the polling process the event was activated correctly due to HS3 recognizing the button was pressed, it's as if HS3 wasn't told the status of the button had changed.

It's worth noting that pressing the button via HS3 web interface, does activate the event/scene perfectly. So the issue is isolated to pressing the button physically on the scene controller.

What could be causing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just wondering is anyone has a solution for this yet? I am having the same problem (and others) with these cooper scene switches. I set them up exactly as the Homeseer video showed but they wouldn't work. Tech support told me that was the wrong way to use then and gave me another method setting them up but this didn't work at all. If I add the associations to control homeseer they will show up, but if I hit refresh a couple of times, they will disappear again. Weird. I eventually did get them to work perfectly, but a day or two later they were really slow to respond, sometimes they would send a Scene on command to homeseer immediately, sometimes it would take 10 seconds, sometimes it never would. I am doing other work on the house and when I turn power off to the switches, I loose the configuration and have to start the setup again. If these were $10-20 switches that would be one thing, but I have over $160 in these and they don't work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Chalk me up as having the same issues. I have 2 of the coopers and followed the instructions in the same video as dchramcow. Mine are currently setup on a test board, I have HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500 (Linux) running on ubuntu with GE (jasco), inovelli, and homeseer zwave+ switches. I wanted to validate these controllers before I purchased 8 more to install in my home. I have the same experience with delayed to zero response when pushing a scene button on the cooper to fire an event, to sometimes it fires immediately. Also pressing the the soft button in the web interface triggers the event 100% of the time and works exactly how I would expect the physical button to work. So either the cooper isn't sending the signal or its getting lost and HS is not picking it up.

I am pretty new to HomeSeer and zwave so haven't dug deep into logs or debugging yet.

Does anybody have recommendations for a better scene controller, I can't move forward with these controllers without some confidence I can get them to work 99+% of the time as expected.

Comment

To answer your recommendation for a "better" scene controller, in my experience there isn't really one... The Coopers are finicky for sure (I have two, but only ever installed one, and the only reason it's still there is because I'm too lazy to take it out). Other scene controllers I've considered are: Leviton (too ugly for the wife), Aeotec Wallmote (I have one of these that I really like, but it doesn't fit in a USA sized wall plate), and Insteon (not Z-Wave, so too much work for me). Since I bought my Scene Controllers (back in 2015) several products have come out that I would rather use than a scene controller if I had it to do all over again. If I ever get motivated to rip my existing Cooper out of the wall, I'll replace it with either a HomeSeer 200 series switch or an Aeotec Wallswipe. I have both of these products in other parts of my house and though I kinda miss having the individual indicator lights, it's not worth the headache of dealing with the controller. The multi click functionality of the HomeSeer switch or the directional swipe functionality of the Wallswipe allow me to control multiple devices through HomeSeer Events.

Comment

I use a quite a few (20+) in my house when i did a remodel i hid all my actual switches in closets and have scene controllers as my primary human interaction interface in each room.When I started I had a few issues, I had to remove them all and re add them about a year and a half ago due to an update. But since then i have got them working really well. I dont touch any other switches, only the Scene controllers.

I didn't see that video before I set them up and the big difference for me is that Im using zwave scenes on them because I was less experienced with Events. But using the zwave scenes they work really well for me. Every once in a while i will have a delay when i hit a button, but that is usually because i have hit 3 or 4 in quick succession (Turn off main office lights, turn of desk lights, turn off monitors, turn of bar lights, etc..). I create 1 scene for a light switch and just link it to each button that i want to have control that light and it keeps the indicator lights in sync between scene controllers using the same scene.

I was thinking about moving them to events but came down to the if it aint broke dont fix it mentality. Since all my lights run of scene controllers they sort of run like a secondary network that everything connects through. So If i ask GoogleHome to turn on my Desk lights it actually turns on the scene controller button which then turns on my lights. If my motion sensor triggers my stair lights it uses the Scene button. If my motion turns my bathroom light on at night to 20% it does go straight to the dimmer but then it turns the indicator light on for the button in the bathroom so i could turn it of or brighten it if i wanted.

100% had issues, and it was annoying but for the last year and a half it has been great as i make them more robust through event error checking or quality or life things. Just my experiences and what I have done differently to that video.

Comment

I am having the exact same problem - the response to buttons is either slow or never happens. So frustrating.

I was able to resolve it but I’m not sure how durable this fix will be. I’m hopeful it will give me another couple of years because my Cooper Scene Controller worked well for close to 2 years after installing it before it became flaky.

After reading this thread and some others,I first tried re-adding the existing the Cooper Scene Controller using Z-Tool+ which refreshed it using the same Z-Wave node number. However it didn’t fix my problem with the scene controller being laggy or unresponsive. :-(

What I did next was to use Z-Tool+ to uninstall the scene controller. To be frank, I’m not sure what sequence of buttons I pressed on the scene controller to get it to recognize it as the device I was trying to remove, but after a few tries it did remove it.

Despite it being removed from the interface, the root device and the 5 screen buttons still showed up on the β€œHome” view of the β€œHomeSeer Web Control” web page. I deleted the root device from that page despite the warnings that popped up knowing that it was no longer in the network interface.

Next I launched Z-Tool+ and re-aded the scene controller to my system. It added it as a new device and gave it a new Z-Wave node number.

I then went to the events that I had created for my first install of the Cooper Scene Controller and re-mapped them to the new instance.

After that everything worked and the delays were gone.

It would be good if the HomeSeer folks would weigh-in with what the long-term fix is. As this thread has demonstrated - there are currently no other US-sized wall controllers that have a simple push-button control. It would either be good to address it with a HomeSeer-branded product, or tell us what to do with our Cooper Scene Contollers.

Comment

I've been tempted by these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGX3XPW which obviously isn't helpful if you've already invested in Cooper controllers, but it is the closest modern Z-Wave Plus AC-powered scene controller I could find, as all the others are battery powered.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                I've been tempted by these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GGX3XPW which obviously isn't helpful if you've already invested in Cooper controllers, but it is the closest modern Z-Wave Plus AC-powered scene controller I could find, as all the others are battery powered.
                The HS-WD200 wired to power makes a great scene controller as well.
                πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Originally posted by jeffj35290 View Post
                  It would be good if the HomeSeer folks would weigh-in...
                  The forum is not so actively monitored by anyone from HomeSeer. If you want HomeSeer to know about this it is best to open a support ticket.

Comment

I have opened multiple support tickets and unfortunately their tech support were unable to fix any of the problems with the cooper scene controllers. Probably why they are discontinued on the homeseer site.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

The HS-WD200 wired to power makes a great scene controller as well.
                      I don’t own a HS-WD200 but from what I can tell it looks like it would only support sequencing from one scene to another. The Cooper Scene Controller has independent buttons that I have assigned various banks of lights to. I may want to have both Scene 1 and 3 on at the same time, or all 5. I can pick and choose one or more scenes which I really like.

The RBGgenie looks interesting but it has so much going on in terms of buttons and lights. My sense is that it may not be intuitive enough for non-home automation enthusiasts such as my wife.

I really appreciate the community engagement on this topic and will monitor this thread. John Harris I appreciate that you have opened multiple support tickets and wish HomeSeer was able to help.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jeffj35290 View Post

I don’t own a HS-WD200 but from what I can tell it looks like it would only support sequencing from one scene to another. The Cooper Scene Controller has independent buttons that I have assigned various banks of lights to. I may want to have both Scene 1 and 3 on at the same time, or all 5. I can pick and choose one or more scenes which I really like.

The RBGgenie looks interesting but it has so much going on in terms of buttons and lights. My sense is that it may not be intuitive enough for non-home automation enthusiasts such as my wife.

I really appreciate the community engagement on this topic and will monitor this thread. John Harris I appreciate that you have opened multiple support tickets and wish HomeSeer was able to help.

Jeff
                        The HS-WD200 can activate events within HS3 by using 2,3,4 or 5 taps either on the top of bottom of the switch to activate any event you choose. In this manner you can control any devices that are controllable by HS. For example I use a double tap on my bedroom light at bedtime to turn out all the lights in the house, turn up/down the thermostats both upstairs and downstairs, arm the alarm system, and turn off 3 of my ceiling fans.
                        πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Rupp you have to understand though that when dealing with end-users who might have to click on those buttons that a little sticker on button #1 saying "Living Room Light", and #2 saying "Kitchen Light", and #3 for "Temperature Up", with #4 for "Temperature Down", and finally #5 for "Activate Security" that this is pretty self explanatory... but a 74 year old grandmother visiting and having to go "did I click 3x or 4x? ohh **** did the fireplace just turn on?" is different

For me I love the LED notifications, and will probably get a few for just a quick peace of mind glance that all windows are closed, doors closed, locks activated, and security system armed. If I have to consult a reference sheet that I programmed LED #4 to mean that it is the garage window that is open, that is not a problem but at that time I'll have wiped out my mobile phone for HomeSeer to tell me in detail.

It is one of the reasons I am building my new HomeSeer network slow with feedback along the way to avoid acceptance-factor nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                            Rupp you have to understand though that when dealing with end-users who might have to click on those buttons that a little sticker on button #1 saying "Living Room Light", and #2 saying "Kitchen Light", and #3 for "Temperature Up", with #4 for "Temperature Down", and finally #5 for "Activate Security" that this is pretty self explanatory... but a 74 year old grandmother visiting and having to go "did I click 3x or 4x? ohh **** did the fireplace just turn on?" is different

For me I love the LED notifications, and will probably get a few for just a quick peace of mind glance that all windows are closed, doors closed, locks activated, and security system armed. If I have to consult a reference sheet that I programmed LED #4 to mean that it is the garage window that is open, that is not a problem but at that time I'll have wiped out my mobile phone for HomeSeer to tell me in detail.

It is one of the reasons I am building my new HomeSeer network slow with feedback along the way to avoid acceptance-factor nightmares.
                            Oh I agree I was simply offering an alternative. For those having the original issue I'd suggest putting in a support ticket as this is the only way this could potentially get fixed.

Comment

Same issue here, but it works 98% . Opening a support ticket has been done before and Tech Support couldn't resolve the problem (interesting that HS stopped selling these).

This may be a problem with the Cooper device and not a HS issue. Someone with a different vendor Hub would have to test to catch a case where the Brand X Hub saw the Zwave signal and HS did not. Any non HS users using the Cooper Device? Has anyone asked Cooper for help?

Comment

Working...
                              X