Local ZWave "High" price.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local ZWave "High" price.

I was at a local lighting store (Hortons, in Lagrange, IL) this weekend and noticed a ZWave lamp module setting on the counter. I asked if they carried ZWaze and if they had any other stuff for sale. The guy brought out the Sylvania remote & 2 Lamp modules pack and also a Sylvanian branded 2 way dimmer switch (4 wire). Seeing the large stock of the wall switches I was excited about someplace local that I could just pick them up. I expected the price to be higher than what I could order them online, but that's what you get for buying at brick & mortor..but you've got that immediate satisfaction. I inquired as to the price: $80 WOW! That "cooled my jets" real quick. Is there any reason why a Sylvania dimmer wall swtich should cost so much, or is this place just really jacking the price up? It did seem to come with a wall plate, but I don't think that adds $40 to the price.

Either their supplier is jacking up the price and they have to go above that to make money or they are REALLY trying to make money by jacking the price way up. It doesn't hurt to mentioned that these modules can be had for nearly have their price either. At these prices just wait a while and they will be clearing them out.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Somebody is jacking as we sell the same units at a little over half that price.
      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I might "call" them and ask again, just to be sure that I get a second price quote. Maybe the guy didn't really know what he was talking about, or maybe he was quoting the price of the remote & 2 lamp mods by mistake.

Update:

Yup, called and verified that they wanted $79 for the switch, and $190 for the remote/2 Lamp Modules. He was interested in the price they are online and was going to investigate why they had them for such a very high price (sounded like they were getting shafted themselves).

Comment

I don't think that price is out of line.

As a manufacturer, a rule of thumb was that you needed to sell to your distribution channels at 1/4 retail prices. Distribution would then double the price when they sold to retailers, who would double the price again if they were selling at list. So the list price split was Retailer: 50%, Distributor: 25%, Manufacturer: 25%.

The rational was that retailer deserved the biggest cut because,
          1) He could not always sell at list,
          2) He needed to be able to discount items to bring in customers,
          3) The manufacturer and distributors had larger volumes than the retailers, and (most important)
          4) He had the highest overhead (utilities, retail real estate, labor, etc.)

Internet and mail-order changed things. Real estate could be anywhere that a UPS truck could reach, labor could be your son and his friend, you don't necessarily need to heat the warehouse (if you even have one), and you don't need to go through distributors (which is the current trend for most business, anyway).

So I would expect a 2:1 difference in price.

Comment

Working...
          X