X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock suggestion for winter condition

Hi all

Looking to change my front door locks

But i live in canada so winter time can be difficult.

Temperature goes to -40 celcius sometime.

I was wondering if z wave lock can mange the fac that my door can work a little bit in winter. So the lock wont close fit 100%.

As anyone experience that and what model you recommend.

Thx

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Is it the lock hardware itself not turning? Or is the metal in the door contracting due to the cold? If it's the door then perhaps making adjustments to the door would help. If it's the lock then taking it apart and using lubricants designed for extreme cold might help.

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
      Is it the lock hardware itself not turning? Or is the metal in the door contracting due to the cold? If it's the door then perhaps making adjustments to the door would help. If it's the lock then taking it apart and using lubricants designed for extreme cold might help.
      Its my door contracting

And i'm looking for a model i don't know yet.

Any suggestions ?

Thx

Comment

Oh, so you're looking for suggestions for a lock that will work in extended sub-zero conditions.

But when your door contracts, does a normal lock still work smoothly?

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
          Oh, so you're looking for suggestions for a lock that will work in extended sub-zero conditions.

But when your door contracts, does a normal lock still work smoothly?
          Yes its just my fear that what i do if the lock jam and im not at home and i thought it was lovk properly that why

Comment

I’m in Calgary so not -40 very often, but we have had -30 a few times in the last couple of years. I’ve been using Kwikset deadbolts for about 8 years now and they work fine when it is cold or hot. The key is to make sure things are aligned well and properly adjusted. The Kwiksets and most other z-wave locks can alert you if they jam or don’t lock properly. It does happen occasionally when the kids don’t close the door properly.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
              I’m in Calgary so not -40 very often, but we have had -30 a few times in the last couple of years. I’ve been using Kwikset deadbolts for about 8 years now and they work fine when it is cold or hot. The key is to make sure things are aligned well and properly adjusted. The Kwiksets and most other z-wave locks can alert you if they jam or don’t lock properly. It does happen occasionally when the kids don’t close the door properly.
              Great thx i will wait for boxing day to see if there is rebate.

Thx

Comment

Aartech.ca has their boxing sale on already I believe. Best place in Canada to buy HA equipment.

Comment

Aartech.ca has their boxing sale on already I believe. Best place in Canada to buy HA equipment.
                  Yes !! I love aartech

Comment

Originally posted by francrouge View Post
                    Yes !! I love aartech
                    These are the ones I have: https://www.aartech.ca/9ged14950-005.html. They used to be branded as Kwikset in Canada, but are now branded as Weiser here (still Kwikset in the US).

Comment

These are the ones I have: https://www.aartech.ca/9ged14950-005.html. They used to be branded as Kwikset in Canada, but are now branded as Weiser here (still Kwikset in the US).
                      Oo nice that is a great price

Comment

I have Schlage locks and find they work quite well but I'm in North Carolina so I never see -40. Mine are the older Z-Wave locks, but I know Schlage was supposed to release Z-Wave Plus versions this month. If you are interested in Schlage, my suggestion is to wait for the Plus model as you'll get better range and easier pairing.

This listing indicatest they are "New Model" so perhaps they are the z-wave plus version, but I'd want to confirm that with the seller first. https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Conne...rt+Home+Direct

Also, FYI, you can see a full listing of all available locks and their features here: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/...ies/6/products

Comment

Do you have a storm door protecting the inside door from the elements? If not, I wonder how much it would help the lock from the elements.
                          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                            Do you have a storm door protecting the inside door from the elements? If not, I wonder how much it would help the lock from the elements.
                            No unfortunatly

Comment

I live in Quebec and for the last 6 years I have been using 3 Yale YRD210 without any issues, like Sparkman mentionned in a post earlier you need to make sure of a perfect alignment of the deadlock and the hole in the door frame

I also highly recommend Aartech as your Canadian supplier, they have good price and the best customer service.

Comment

Working...
                              X