Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave switch/dimmer 99% or 100% for ON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave switch/dimmer 99% or 100% for ON?

I have Z-Wave dimmers which I just want to use as switch (some of my lights don't support dimming). I removed the 1-99 range from "Status Graphics" config page, just leaving "0" for "Off" and "100" for "On". But when I set the device to "On" - the "Advanced" config page still shows "99" value.
    How does it work?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Satus Graphics.PNG Views:	2 Size:	13.2 KB ID:	1268978Click image for larger version  Name:	advanced.PNG Views:	1 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	1268977

The status graphic is how it's displayed in homeseer, it doesn't affect the operation of the dimmer. If you want to change the operation of the dimmer, you'll need to use the zwave tab on the root device. As a note, changing the operation of the dimmer under the zwave tab will not change the status graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
      The status graphic is how it's displayed in homeseer, it doesn't affect the operation of the dimmer. If you want to change the operation of the dimmer, you'll need to use the zwave tab on the root device. As a note, changing the operation of the dimmer under the zwave tab will not change the status graphics.
      I understand, but "status graphic" lists possible values for the device too? I.e. if 99 isn't there - usually in the log file you ger an error?
      Of curse it's a behaviour for virtual devices, physical devices behave differently.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

I understand, but "status graphic" lists possible values for the device too? I.e. if 99 isn't there - usually in the log file you ger an error?
        Of curse it's a behaviour for virtual devices, physical devices behave differently.
        No. The status graphic tab serves 2 purposes. 1) it allows you to set up controls in the HS webpage, ie, on, off, dim, on last level. or even some custom value. and 2) it allows you to display the status of the device; also in the HS webpage; to display the status you define what value = the status you wish. You could define 0 as 'on' for example. or 99 with a label of 'boo' you can even delete every value present; which would have the effect of removing all your webpage controls, but not change the way the dimmer worked.

If you rescan the device your custom status graphic modifications will be lost

Related to your initial post you asked why 99 = on. Dimmers have various values. If you set a dimmer to 255 it will go to the last dimmed value it was set to. 99 is considered 'on' and 0 is off. other returned values are typically the dimmed level.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
          99 is considered 'on' and 0 is off
          You sure 100 isn't there? I must have confused with percentages - which 100% is max.
          But still confusing, i.e. if I have Z-Wave swicth (not dimmer) - then for ON it's 255, but for dimmers 255 means last value?

Comment

Oddly enough, the DIM levels for Z-Wave are 1-99 where 99 is "full on". There is no 100 - sending 100 is an error. You can also send a "255" which means "last Value"

For Binary Switches, The Z-Wave standards (this is set out in Sigma Design's public specification entitled: "Z-Wave Application Command Class Specification") requires that they respond to 1-99 and 255. Any of these values will turn the switch "On' -- though if you send 1-99 as the "on" value, the Switch will turn on and then read "255" as its value. However, I've notice that HomeSeer doesn't allow the 1-99 and it will only allow 0 and 255 for Switches.

Comment

Originally posted by jvm View Post
              Thank you, it explains a lot

Comment

Working...
              X