Z-Wave Install Help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Install Help...

I am trying to retrofit a few switches with z-wave modules and need a little help. I have 4 wires coming out of the back of hte switch - Green, Red, Black and White. The wires leading into and out of my jBox only have Ground, Black and White. Ground to green is easy. White to White is easy. What do I do with the Black and Red? I am assuming that I take the black wire coming from the circuit panel and connect that to black of hte switch and then take the red wire from the switch and connect it to the black leading back out to the fixture. Given that all I can see in the jBox is 2 Blacks, 2 Whites and 2 Greens with no indication of which goes where, how do I figure out which goes where?

Did you remove a switch from the wall jbox? If so, which of the wires in the jbox that you described were connected to the switch?

Also, use a volt meter to identify which of the black wires is hot. The white wires are usually the neutral. But, sometimes the electrician will use a run of 14/2 or 12/2 Romex from the switch to the light. This Romex will have 3 wires in it & they are usually 1 bk, 1wt, & 1grn or bare. The run from the switch box to the light is called the switch leg.

Again, how was the old switch connected & how are the other wires connected in the jbox?

Comment

Working...
    X