No announcement yet.

Zwave device adds/remove has become beyond flakey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the exact same problem. My Z-Net Z-Wave controller keeps adding new devices as node 16, overwriting the old node. It only does 16 now for the last 3 devices I've tried. I did all the above, nothing changes. Really annoying. About ready to give up and move to another controller software, as if I have to redo everything from scratch, I might as well try something else.

Comment

It's stories like these that make me afraid to try Z-Wave.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
        It's stories like these that make me afraid to try Z-Wave.
        It's not a problem inherent with Z-Wave.

What version of Z-Wave plugin is being ran? Is it Beta? I know from having to install/re-install exlude/include an entire environment that when playing with Beta's sometimes you get burned.

If it's not the Beta Z-Wave plugin then it's a problem and I would take it to support.

Comment

I had the same issue with the GA release and the beta. I engaged homeseer support and they were very nice, but completely unhelpful - in fact some of the things they recommended made the problem worse.

I think I may have solved my issue though. Readers digest version is that I feel the single znet that I had with 70 devices (some of them power and water meters that update data every 1-10 seconds) was being overwhelmed. I added a new znet with a new network ID (adding as a secondary DID NOT HELP) and took the nodes that were reporting a lot of data off of the original znet and added them into the new one (7 nodes). Everything has been very stable ever since. Knock on wood.

Comment

How many Z-Nets does Homeseer support? Isn't it something like 3 or 4? Distributing the load seems like a good thing to consider if planning a new installation.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamk View Post
              I had the same issue with the GA release and the beta. I engaged homeseer support and they were very nice, but completely unhelpful - in fact some of the things they recommended made the problem worse.

I think I may have solved my issue though. Readers digest version is that I feel the single znet that I had with 70 devices (some of them power and water meters that update data every 1-10 seconds) was being overwhelmed. I added a new znet with a new network ID (adding as a secondary DID NOT HELP) and took the nodes that were reporting a lot of data off of the original znet and added them into the new one (7 nodes). Everything has been very stable ever since. Knock on wood.
              Wow 1-10 seconds for power reports? That's a lot of traffic and will kill any z-wave interface. Why may I ask are you reporting so often? For my power reports I want consumption or reports on changes under/over a threshold.

Comment

I have 2 power meters that report every 10 seconds. I need to be able to take action based upon power switching from one leg to another. I could probably monitor less often, but I would prefer not to. Frankly, in the world of data transfer, 2 values every 10 seconds is pretty small. I'm surprised, but not shocked, that it caused zwave issues. I think it was more likely due to the amount of nodes.

Comment

I have 2 power meters that report every 10 seconds. I need to be able to take action based upon power switching from one leg to another. I could probably monitor less often, but I would prefer not to. Frankly, in the world of data transfer, 2 values every 10 seconds is pretty small. I'm surprised, but not shocked, that it caused zwave issues. I think it was more likely due to the amount of nodes.
                  2 devices reporting like that is not the problem. But how many of your total devices are reporting like that? 100K pipe and a serial processing mechanism only gets you so far....

Comment

Correct - Two devices reporting at that interval. Water meter reporting live action when it happens.

Comment

I wish i had added another z-net a lot sooner - I was just able to do a successful OTA firmware update of an aeon multisensor 6 - something i have never been able to accomplish before. I'm going to put z-net performance monitoring on my todo list.

Comment

Correct - Two devices reporting at that interval. Water meter reporting live action when it happens.
                        Interesting. Using for real-time events or just data logging? I'm just curious of the use-case

Comment

Real time events - I have very bad power with an automatic backup generator on a transfer switch that is somewhat underrated for the house. If power goes out and stays out for 10 seconds the generator will kick in - at that point I need to quickly turn off switches to major power users such as the hot tub, water heater, etc or I risk burning up my generator. So I have less than 10 seconds to make the decision. I really ought to monitor at 5 seconds now that I can. ;-)

Water usage - I have a very low producing well that only has a certain capacity. If water runs I need to keep very close track of where things stand around the capacity of the well vs. water used. I do not want to run my well down too far or the pump will start picking up minerals at an incredibly high rate. So I monitor usage very closely and automatically turn off the water main if resources get too low. Also - along those lines, I very closely monitor for running water - something that might run the well dry if it continues at a certain rate. That will sound alarms, send e-mails and eventually turn off the water main as well.

First World Problems. :-)

Comment

Real time events - I have very bad power with an automatic backup generator on a transfer switch that is somewhat underrated for the house. If power goes out and stays out for 10 seconds the generator will kick in - at that point I need to quickly turn off switches to major power users such as the hot tub, water heater, etc or I risk burning up my generator. So I have less than 10 seconds to make the decision. I really ought to monitor at 5 seconds now that I can. ;-)

Water usage - I have a very low producing well that only has a certain capacity. If water runs I need to keep very close track of where things stand around the capacity of the well vs. water used. I do not want to run my well down too far or the pump will start picking up minerals at an incredibly high rate. So I monitor usage very closely and automatically turn off the water main if resources get too low. Also - along those lines, I very closely monitor for running water - something that might run the well dry if it continues at a certain rate. That will sound alarms, send e-mails and eventually turn off the water main as well.

First World Problems. :-)
                            Nope I totally understand! I'm on well with a similar issue and my power is not too horrible but I don't have a generator yet either so when I lose power... well I hope we prepared otherwise the toilets don't flush many times!

Comment

FWIW - I found out how to log into the z-net and took a look around. As far as I can tell the znet module itself is doing next to nothing. Very few CPU cycles, extremely low load, plenty of free memory. So Z-wave network bandwidth must be the culprit. Would anyone happen to know how I might monitor how saturated a zwave network is becoming? IMO it would be great to drop warning in the log if it is reaching 80% or so or rated capacity.

Comment

FWIW - I found out how to log into the z-net and took a look around. As far as I can tell the znet module itself is doing next to nothing. Very few CPU cycles, extremely low load, plenty of free memory. So Z-wave network bandwidth must be the culprit. Would anyone happen to know how I might monitor how saturated a zwave network is becoming? IMO it would be great to drop warning in the log if it is reaching 80% or so or rated capacity.
                                You can pay the entry fee to join the Z-Wave Alliance (like us) and buy the CIT or you can just skip all of that and buy the Z-Wave Toolbox and get loads of neat Z-wave info.

Z-Wave Products carries the Z-Wave ToolBox, ZWP-TBX. Shop with us today.

Comment

Working...
                                X