Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenes

I could really use some help. I have three 5-button scene controllers. At the present time, I'm using one of them to trigger events, and the other two activate scenes, each scene consisting of a single controller being fully on. I'd like to use all three of them to control complex scenes instead of having one of them activate events, but I'm not having any luck setting up the scenes. I contacted HomeSeer support, and their answer was: Don't use scenes. This can't be right. Why sell scene controllers that can't handle scenes? Anybody have any insight on this?

I tend to agree with HS. I have two five-button Leviton controllers and I just use the scenes to trigger events. After having played a bit with scenes (a while ago), I found that doing it that way works more consistently.
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Then why have them to begin with? My rationale for attempting to use scenes is the following: I have matrix of down lights, bar lights, and cabinet lights in the rec room I my basement, none of which have a wall switch; they all have to be controlled by Z-wave. The idea of using scenes would be to assure controllability of the lights in the event that my HS system craps out or I move and leave this mess to a new owner who doesn't want to mess with the HS system. I think that's a valid rationale, and it doesn't deserve such terse rejection by the HS customer service folks.

Comment

Z-Wave scenes were "invented" very early on in the life of z-wave and it was not done very well (IMHO). I also don't believe there's been any further development with scenes with subsequent z-wave versions. This is not a HS issue, just an issue with z-wave. You could potentially use associations which will let one device notify others. The challenge with that is that the communication is direct between the lights and HS is not aware of the state changes. No one is arguing your rationale for wanting them, it's just that it does not work very consistently, hence the advise to use them to trigger events.
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
        X