Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring Alarm Product: Any conflict with Zwave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Alarm Product: Any conflict with Zwave?

I have 140 Zwave devices (on 2 Znet interfaces) and am considering purchasing the Ring alarm system. What conflict/mpact will adding 20 Zwave based Ring devices have on the my Home Seer Zwave devices?

Does anyone have Ring Alarm installed with Home Seer?

thx

I looked at Ring;;;two points: 1) Ring will not trigger on third-party sensors. If you have non-Ring window, door, garage door, motion detector already in your HS system, Ring won't activate an alarm, call a neighbour etc. if one of them triggers only its own devices will 2) Ring doesn't support secondary controllers (last I checked anyway). You can add devices to the Ring system, but HS won't see them as Ring won't be able to update status etc. to HS. If you add the devices to HS first, then Ring will never see them as they will be marked with the HS network ID number. While HS does allow for secondary controllers, since Ring doesn't so way to have HS see that info or send that over to Ring. I read that some people get around this by having Ring issue emails which then can be "read" by HS if you have HS set to look at emails, and a status update made, or you can go around with IFTTT to have a Ring change trigger something in HS.

As two purely separate systems 20 devices on Ring Zwave will no no bother/interference with HS Zwave. I went with Frontpoint which itself goes off alarm.com..have some 20+ devices on that Zwave network, plus 681 devices (maybe some 200 physical ones) in HS's Zwave...no problem. But it does mean in a few places I have two separate motion detectors, one for each system. I decided I didn't want to bother with email or IFTTT. In my setup, perimeter doors are all Frontpoint Zwave...garage door has both Frontpoint and HS. HS can trigger the garage door opening when the bedroom light goes off upstairs before we leave for work, and Frontpoint can shut the garage door when our cellphones go outside of the geo-fencing area set if we forget to do so manually.

p.s. somewhere on the board someone posted a help note about HS working with alarm systems. The lack of secondary controller capability on the alarm systems is a major issue. The alarm companies are not set up to have devices or systems they do not control affect their security.

Comment

No it will not interfere. Ring use WiFi and Z-wave is in a different bandwidth. If you have Alexa you can create a virtual switch in HomeSeer and have Alexa turn it on or off based on motion or doorbell press. I have HomeSeer flash lights and send TTS to my Sonos when the Ring doorbell is pressed.

EDIT: Sorry just saw Alarm, I only use the doorbell
      HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
      Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
      Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Can Ring Alarm and Homeseer interfere with each other?
        Yes, the can. Both systems operate on the same frequency so interference is possible.

Will that interference cause problems?
        It's possible but Z-Wave is robust and should correct for the interference unless the two systems are extremely busy.

Is there a way that they could work together to reduce interference?
        Yes, the easiest way would be if one acted as a secondary controller to the other. However, currently it's unlikely that Ring will work with any of the Home Automations systems.

Is there a way that Ring and Homeseer could communicate with each other?
        Yes, there is but Ring doesn't support it. If Ring would adopt MQTT and IFTTT then they could interact with each other. MQTT would be the best as it doesn't require the Cloud to function.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Note, Ring is a Zwave based system..The doorbell they use from another vendor so it may be different but the Ring controller, motion detectors etc. are all Zwave, and as I noted does not support a secondary controller like HS being on its network, or it on HS's. .

Comment

I can confirm the doorbell is wifi back to their cloud
            HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
            Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
              I can confirm the doorbell is wifi back to their cloud
              He asked about the Ring Alarm not the Ring Doorbell...

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post

He asked about the Ring Alarm not the Ring Doorbell...
                The post right above mine mentions the doorbell and says it might be different than the alarm, so I was confirming that is in fact different and uses wifi.

Comment

This post is over a year old but I don't believe the situation has changed (i.e. Ring Alarm does not support secondary ZWave controllers). Can someone confirm that this is still the case?

Comment

Originally posted by GlennWo View Post
                    This post is over a year old but I don't believe the situation has changed (i.e. Ring Alarm does not support secondary ZWave controllers). Can someone confirm that this is still the case?
                    Yes, still true. The Ring Doorbell supports IFTTT triggers (I have it set to alert me through HS when someone is at the front door), but Ring Alarm does not have IFTTT trigger capability either.

Comment

Ring alarm has a WiFi, Zigbee and ZWave radios. Mostly using ZWave at this time.

Ring Doorbell is a closed to the cloud system and uses only WiFi.

Thinking that Amazon owns both and it does integrate fine with Amazon Alexa devices.

Personally have not depended on WiFi for security or automation BUT lately tinkering with WiFi Hikvision OEM doorbell and modded WiFi switches which speak MQTT.

- Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                      HS4 Pro - V4.1.7.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.12.x
                      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X