Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay with controlling Fibaro Dimmer 2 from other devices

Hello all,

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm running into some strange issues with a particular use case in my Z-Wave network and it's time to ask for help.

tl;dr Controlling a Fibaro Dimmer 2 from another Fibaro Dimmer 2 on my network is very slow. Why?

The long story: I recently installed two sets of Fibaro Dimmer 2 devices to replace a 2 pairs of existing regular three way switches. Because I want to use both switches in each pair to control dimming up and down, I have configured all these switches in "roller blind" mode (Parameter 20 = 2). I am using old fashioned looking push button switches to control S1 and S2 on the Fibaro Dimmers. So pressing/holding the top button is light on/dim up and pressing/holding the bottom button is light off/dim down. I have linked the Switch Multivalue 1 child devices in each pair of Fibaro Dimmers to each other using the "Linked Device" setting in Homeseer. I should now be able to use either switches to control the lights and the two switches should stay in sync. This works, but with a delay of anywhere from 3-10 seconds if I use the switch not directly connected to the lights.

I have several other similar setups at my house that work fine and with no delay. The only difference is that I'm not using a Fibaro device in any of those others setups (it's mostly Aeotec devices and Homeseer devices). Also, if I control the Fibaro devices from software (either the web browser, the new Homeseer App, or Home Remote App) there is no delay.

Based on my logs, I am hypothesizing that the problem may be related to instant status of the Fibaro devices. When I activate a device on my network, I usually see something like this:

Code:
    Mar-28 2:26:20 PM         Z-Wave    Device: Office Lights South Set to 99
    Mar-28 2:26:20 PM         Device Control    Device: Office Lights South to On (99)
    The bottom log line is Homeseer telling the device what to do, and the top log line is the device telling Homeseer what it did (at least that's my understanding). But when I do the same thing with the Fibaro device I get logs like this:

Code:
    Mar-28 2:28:46 PM         Z-Wave    Device: Master Bed Energy Stairs Power Set to 39.2 (W)
    Mar-28 2:28:39 PM         Device Control    Device: Master Bed Lights Stairs to On (99)
    Notice that the switch device never reports back to Homeseer. The report back comes from the Fibaro energy meter, which is technically a different device. There is also a pretty significant delay between the command and the report back. This could very well explain why, when I try to control one of the Fibaro Dimmers from another Fibaro Dimmer, there is a large delay. My suspicion is that there is something not quite right in the support for this device in the Homeseer Z-Wave Plugin.

Is anyone else out there using a Fibaro device to control another device using either "Linked Device" or an event or even associating the devices directly to each other? What has you experience been?

Also, to any of the senior forum members out there, how would you go about troubleshooting something like this?

Thanks everyone for reading my wall of text. :-)

I do not have Fibaro dimmers. I do have 2 WD-100's linked to each other and there is an annoying delay when I turn one switch until the other starts changing. Best explanation(from HS): With the "Linking" function the fist switch to be activated must complete it's transition to the new state before the 'Linked" switch is sent the command to start it's transition. If you have slow dimming ramps this can add a long delay. It looks like you may have this issue but also others with the "power device"??????

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
      I do not have Fibaro dimmers. I do have 2 WD-100's linked to each other and there is an annoying delay when I turn one switch until the other starts changing. Best explanation(from HS): With the "Linking" function the fist switch to be activated must complete it's transition to the new state before the 'Linked" switch is sent the command to start it's transition. If you have slow dimming ramps this can add a long delay. It looks like you may have this issue but also others with the "power device"??????
      Thats an interesting wrinkle for sure. I'll have to go check my ramp rates and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X