Z-wave communication problem or device problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-wave communication problem or device problem

So here is good one. I have over 90 motion sensors in one house. It's mix of HS-MS100+ and Aeotec multisensor 6. I get some sensors stuck on OPEN or Motion Detected whatever you prefer. They stay open indefinitely according to homeseer until someone walks by again. Then motion sensors starts working again as expected. It happens both Homeseer and Aeotec sensors. I can't find any pattern that would help me to troubleshoot it.

So I have a few question for you experienced guys. Some best practices to get things working smoothly.

1. How do you optimize your motion sensors? Do you have to be within direct reach of Z-wave controller to optimize or should you be able to optimize battery operated device even if you are one or two hops away? I understand I need to wake up battery device.

2. Do you have any preferred settings for devices mentioned above to achieve the most stable performance?

3. Is there possibility that Homeseer receives information when sensor gets triggered but will not receive information when it stops detecting motion? So even though sensor is back to No Motion state Homeseer is still showing sensor in Motion Detected state because it has never received the information. In that case is there any tool that would allow check state of the motion sensor so it could be compared to Homeseer status?

I know it is a lot but I am sure that will help others as well..

Thanks Charles

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
    So here is good one. I have over 90 motion sensors in one house. It's mix of HS-MS100+ and Aeotec multisensor 6. I get some sensors stuck on OPEN or Motion Detected whatever you prefer. They stay open indefinitely according to homeseer until someone walks by again. Then motion sensors starts working again as expected. It happens both Homeseer and Aeotec sensors. I can't find any pattern that would help me to troubleshoot it.

So I have a few question for you experienced guys. Some best practices to get things working smoothly.

1. How do you optimize your motion sensors? Do you have to be within direct reach of Z-wave controller to optimize or should you be able to optimize battery operated device even if you are one or two hops away? I understand I need to wake up battery device.

2. Do you have any preferred settings for devices mentioned above to achieve the most stable performance?

3. Is there possibility that Homeseer receives information when sensor gets triggered but will not receive information when it stops detecting motion? So even though sensor is back to No Motion state Homeseer is still showing sensor in Motion Detected state because it has never received the information. In that case is there any tool that would allow check state of the motion sensor so it could be compared to Homeseer status?

I know it is a lot but I am sure that will help others as well..

Thanks Charles
    I shouldn't repeat this here but asked you before "what Z-wave interface are you using?" and / or what is the version of HomeSeer?

Note : when an interface (Smart-Stick / ZNET) is connected to HomeSeer server then you have a Controller.

You did not mention it here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ue#post1301236

Eman.
    The Closer.

Comment

A couple of ideas. first keep track of the offending detectors and see if they are close or on the fringe of your layout. You don't actually know if the detector is doing a good job of communicating. It is being brought to your attention because its the second part of a process. So if the motion detection is missed you'll never know since it is still displaying no motion.
      not a great fix but you could always put a quick timer in HS to return the display to no motion as you haven't said the detectors have completely failed.
      The other thing you could do is place a few wired wall switches the will act as repeaters in your fringe areas.

Stuart

Comment

But without farther ado, for good practice you should avoid using a ZNET with WiFi although you can.
        An other one is when you encounter heavy traffic (especially in the logs about Z-wave devices with ZNET) the first suspect is your ROUTER before you even start tinkering with HomeSeer.
        Check your cabling first and make sure everything is in order then REBOOT the router, reboot the ZNET and then reboot HomeSeer. If those steps fail to yield results then come back and ask.

Now if you have a Smart-Stick read this thread : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...d-major-issues

Eman.
        The Closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post

The other thing you could do is place a few wired wall switches the will act as repeaters in your fringe areas.

Stuart
          And a second interface since the house is big.

Eman.
          The Closer.

Comment

In another thread you reported your dropped event callbacks issue has been resolved. Are you still seeing the lost motion detector inputs? It stands to reason that some of the dropped callbacks were for motion detector events...

Comment

Hi Eman, I did not mentioned my setup because I was seeking some general advice before troubleshooting this. But I understand that it can be important to get better advice.

Here is my Setup.

PC with Win10 running latest HS3 Pro. Two Smart-Sticks connected to it as Primary Z-wave interfaces. I have one Z-net as secondary controller in remote part of the house.

PC - Laptop is connected wireless (due to location without Ethernet) and Z-net is on wired connection. I could possibly move laptop to less ideal location with Ethernet for trouble shooting purposes). I think WiFi network is pretty solid with UniFi APs.

I still doubting my coverage. It is my first larger setup and l have a lot to learn.

All switches in the house are Z-wave switches. Around 180 of them. Took forever to install. :-) So Z-wave network should be pretty good once properly optimized. I have added Z-NET a few days ago but did not have a chance to optimize the network. I am planning to do that on Monday. As of right now Z-NET is connected, assigned to one of the Smart Stick with most devices.

I have set devices close to Z-net to Auto Set with Optimize in Remote Interface to Use Z-wave settings. I am assuming that will play a roll when I start to optimize the network.

I have no problems with switches except one hiccup where switch lost node ID information. Still have no idea what happen but I just excluded and included the switch again.

So that is the background.

My next step was to optimize the network. I was going to move a few switches to other network to have some repeaters on the other network and then run optimization.

That is where my question about optimizing battery powered motion sensors was asked. It seems to me like I can optimize the sensor when it can reach Z-wave interface directly but not when I am out of direct reach. That's why I asked what is the best way to optimize them to make sure that Z-wave network is not my problem at the first place.

I will track motion sensors as much as I can to see if there are any repeated offenders.

You mentioned the router. My understanding is that the router would play role in my situation only in communication between Z-NET and the laptop. At this point I am not even sure to what point Z-NET is used. I have synced devices between Smart Stick and Z-NET but most devices had still Smart Stick set as main controller.

I am asking these question to make sure I don't make too many stupid mistakes that would create bunch of extra work. Now I know I should plan ahead for more robust coverage and include devices better between networks. Learning process can be pretty painful sometimes but I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                In another thread you reported your dropped event callbacks issue has been resolved. Are you still seeing the lost motion detector inputs? It stands to reason that some of the dropped callbacks were for motion detector events...
                Yes, the problem has been solved. A little change in the plug-in and it's all good. There is not change when it comes to this issue. But I need to start with my setup before blaming someone else.. :-)

I am leaning to blaming the network setup and routing because it affects more than one brand. Once I have my network under control I can't really pint point where the problem is.

I am just trying to understand things better.. I figured these three question would help me and possibly some other new users in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post

Yes, the problem has been solved. A little change in the plug-in and it's all good. There is not change when it comes to this issue. But I need to start with my setup before blaming someone else.. :-)

I am leaning to blaming the network setup and routing because it affects more than one brand. Once I have my network under control I can't really pint point where the problem is.

I am just trying to understand things better.. I figured these three question would help me and possibly some other new users in the future.
                  You mentioned that you have two z-wave smart sticks connected, are they in USB ports right next to each other? If so, I’ve read that can cause problems. It would be best to buy a USB extension cable an put the second z-wave controller about 3-6 feet away from the other one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
                  Plugin's:
                  BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                  EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                  weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post

You mentioned that you have two z-wave smart sticks connected, are they in USB ports right next to each other? If so, I’ve read that can cause problems. It would be best to buy a USB extension cable an put the second z-wave controller about 3-6 feet away from the other one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    They are probably 12" apart. I'll keep it in mind. I should have USB cable somewhere and I can try to move them farther apart. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Charles_cz Not directly related but I can't help myself to ask anyway. How do you possibly have 180 Z-wave switches? My house is about 3400 sq ft and I doubt that I even have 80 switches. My place is less than 30 years old and meets what I consider fairly resent electrical codes.... I was just wondering...
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        Charles_cz Not directly related but I can't help myself to ask anyway. How do you possibly have 180 Z-wave switches? My house is about 3400 sq ft and I doubt that I even have 80 switches. My place is less than 30 years old and meets what I consider fairly resent electrical codes.... I was just wondering...
                        I don't... The house that this project is at have that many.. It is 13000 sq/f house. ;-)

It may not be related question but it can bring up valid questions about the issue of proper z-wave coverage. Are two locations with z-wave controllers enough? Maybe not.. I will find out soon..

Comment

At 13000 sqft, you may need to become your own (reluctant?) expert!! Guessing not too many folks have much experience with such a large space.

A couple of threads that may help, if you haven't found them already.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ets-one-homeid

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...nets-in-1-home

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...works-11-12-18

Good luck & report back!!

Comment

This software may also help :https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...stics-software

Man O Man at one time you had me in a twist

Eman.
                            The Closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
                              This software may also help :https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...stics-software

Man O Man at one time you had me in a twist

Eman.
                              Did I? :-). Eman, I am using Z-Seer. Very handy. I’m using it with my iPad for including and excluding devices. And on my laptop to optimize network. Sometimes I am asking basic questions just because I can’t find right answers or I am not sure if I understand it right.. Like, question number one. It’s either too basic and obvious or no one wants to answer it. I will figure it out eventually. If I ask it here now, if I get straight easy answer someone else can find it later.

I’ll be probably smiling couple of years from now when some other “Charles” will be doing same thing. Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X