No announcement yet.

Z-wave communication problem or device problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the discussion about the z-wave difference between z-net, either with a daughter board or UZB, z-stick is a mis-directed discussion. Technically they are the same and must comply with the same standards. HST only offer z-net in a number of countries with UZB rather than daughter boards. You can also make your own z-net like configured device. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...4?postcount=60

However, the points made about z-net or location is very important and I know you have asked about similar previously. The core is the z-way is the mesh network but is limited by the number of hops and traffic. Z-way devices can be rather chatty and Configuring devices to only broadcast what you want could assist reducing communication traffic.

Optimising should be against a central device but of course this would not optimise battery devices and you’ve already addressed this in your previous questions/responses. Hence integrated security systems can provide better results in a lot of circumstances as they communicate direct to a panel over longer ranges.

Comment

The link above to enable you to build a z-net like device will allow you to take the current z-stick and move them as-is to a z-wave like device and only reconfigure the z-wave controllers that it now available from the IP address rather than locally.

The other thing you may try on the sensors is get the routing from a near by powered device and input this directly into the sensor routing and retest optimising that device. In that use case you have good routing that you have confidence in that is already optimised.

Comment

Sparkman, I have one more question before I get into backing up Z-wave interface and restoring to get my network in order..

1. Since I have Z-NET as secondary controller. Do I just back up main controller Smart Stick in my case, restore Smart stick and then Send Network information to another controller? That would be my Z-NET.

2. Or do I back up and restore both Smart Stick and Z-NET.

I am unclear if both contain same synced info or if they each have different network information.

The other thing that I think got lost in conversation. With motion sensors being Z-wave+ devices is there any need for optimization? Sound like should be able to figure out things on it's own.

Thank you. Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
          Sparkman, I have one more question before I get into backing up Z-wave interface and restoring to get my network in order..

1. Since I have Z-NET as secondary controller. Do I just back up main controller Smart Stick in my case, restore Smart stick and then Send Network information to another controller? That would be my Z-NET.

2. Or do I back up and restore both Smart Stick and Z-NET.

I am unclear if both contain same synced info or if they each have different network information.

The other thing that I think got lost in conversation. With motion sensors being Z-wave+ devices is there any need for optimization? Sound like should be able to figure out things on it's own.

Thank you. Charles
          #1 Should do it.

For the optimization, I would try without first. However make sure that you are not running into the three hop limit by strategically locating the controllers.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Sounds good.. I will check with Z-seer after restore to see where I am as far as number of hops go for each device.. I am assuming I will it there even without optimization.

So from your response is it safe to assume that both primary and secondary controllers have same network information?

All this is really helpful.

Thank you.

Comment

Charles_cz , it sounds like you may have more than one motion sensor in a given area? Or even a combination of wireless (battery) and wired (non-battery) motion devices. This is the config I'm running. I found that relying directly on any of the sensors left me at the mercy of each device's quirks. The MS6 has it's quirks, the Monoprice units have theirs, and the Jasco motion switches have theirs.

What I'm doing to work around this is using virtual devices that are controlled by events. The events are triggered - and easily changed - by HS timers and the mix of motion devices in each area. In some areas, there are as many as four motion devices determining if that area / room has motion.

It turns out that various things I've done work better in high-motion or low-motion environments, so I don't have a simple "do it this way" model. But the simplest model I have is the two motion small rooms.

I was going to post some examples, but... after looking at the AK Smart Devices plugin referenced above... it's basically that - but done in a mess of events and stuff. I'm going to get that plugin and see if it simplifies things. But if you want to mess with it yourself, basically recreate that plugin with events with all the various inputs of motion from multiple devices and such. :-)

Comment

gregoryx, I have logistics of all of that pretty much figured out. Got all design done HS Touch. All events working and very happy with it.
                Some of the stuff is similar to AK Smart Devices plugin but all done with events and status devices. Works pretty well. As long as I can get motion sensors under control I'll be good.

It looks like we took similar approach to this. :-)

Yes I have usually at least two sensors in bigger rooms and more in hallways to cover entrances etc. so status devices are must.

Thanks for the tip. Charles

Comment

Sounds good.. I will check with Z-seer after restore to see where I am as far as number of hops go for each device.. I am assuming I will it there even without optimization.

So from your response is it safe to assume that both primary and secondary controllers have same network information?

All this is really helpful.

Thank you.
                  Also as discussed in your other thread about breaching the magic number, 232, once you have multiple z-wave controllers this enables the device to be manage by “uses interface” example below. Noting the example is stating this is dynamic and maybe changed when optimised.

Uses Interface: RasPi Z-net (May change next Optimize)

Question:
                  Did you enrol the sensor when powered or batteries and is this condition still the same?

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post

Also as discussed in your other thread about breaching the magic number, 232, once you have multiple z-wave controllers this enables the device to be manage by “uses interface” example below. Noting the example is stating this is dynamic and maybe changed when optimised.

Uses Interface: RasPi Z-net (May change next Optimize)

Question:
                    Did you enrol the sensor when powered or batteries and is this condition still the same?
                    All motion sensors are battery powered and were included in the network that way. I understand why you are asking that.

Once I’ve added Z-NET I saw and used option Auto set with Optimize for devices in question where it was not clear which z-wave interface (on same z-wave network) would be the best. I ran network optimization and it selected and set one of two available z-wave interfaces. It looks like it is one time setting and it needs to be set again if you want to use it for next optimization. But that applies to z-wave controllers on same network. You can’t use z-wave interface from one network to manage device on another network. Are we on the same page?

Comment

. But that applies to z-wave controllers on same network. You can’t use z-wave interface from one network to manage device on another network. Are we on the same page?
                      Yes, you are correct and on the same page. Hopefully the attachment works, as it was on a mobile device but this is demonstrating a single z-wave network with multiple z-nets and I removed the second and hence the sensor is showing not found.

Comment

I just wanted to thank to everyone on this forum helping me with solving issues with my system. Some plug-in issues were corrected (thanks Spud) and my motion sensor issues are gone after extending Z-wave coverage and fixing routing issues. All is nice and peachy now.

Most importantly, I have learned thing or two.. :-)

Comment

I just wanted to thank to everyone on this forum helping me with solving issues with my system. Some plug-in issues were corrected (thanks Spud) and my motion sensor issues are gone after extending Z-wave coverage and fixing routing issues. All is nice and peachy now.

Most importantly, I have learned thing or two.. :-)
                          Glad to hear it! What changes did you make to extend z-wave coverage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                          Plugin's:
                          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Just added Z-NET.. I still need to add one more for the other network but inadequate coverage was big part of the problem.

Comment

Just adding Z-NET.. I still need add one more for the other network but inadequate coverage was big part of the problem.
                              That’s what I figured, when you mentioned that HS was only receiving motion/no motion sporadically it was a clue that the reception was spotty. Z-wave has pretty good range but in a space as large as 13K, you really need to spread out your transceivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                              Plugin's:
                              BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                              EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                              weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                              X