Light switches - Paddle or Toggle - that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light switches - Paddle or Toggle - that is the question

so I know, I know.. ive said it a few times that my wife REQUIRES Toggle switches. That gets her the approval for my automation... not the fact of what I can do with it but simply she HATES decora switches.

with that.. I am curious on this... so thought id do a poll as HST has their switches with double tap and other features not found in GE/Jasco/Zooz switches.
    I asked HST if they were going to do Toggle and they said not at this time.. so I'm curious, as it has been some time...

how many other people require toggle.. to put it out on paper (web)...

Toggle - Required
    4.35%
    Decora - Required
    86.96%
    None prefered - but Toggle would be used if available
    0%
    None prefered - it really doest matter at all to me.
    8.70%
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

It really is a matter of preference. Beauty is in the eye if the beholder.

My preference is to have all outlets and switches look the same so it is all Decora for me.

If you really want to start a argument ask which way the ground pin should be oriented for a duplex outlet. Up or down? Or which way the cover plate screws should be oriented. North/South or East/West?

Comment

We are quite dependent on multi tap, which I cannot see working with a toggle. My wife preferred toggle years ago, but realized that paddles were actually a lot easier. Now she wants all Decora. I even had to switch out standard duplex outlets for Decora.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

How about we throw in the mix the touch controls or the Caseta line up?

Comment

I will use toggle if the rest of the building is toggle. If it's already a mix, then Decora. I use a bit of Caseta and Maestro already. Most of the existing residential I work on is already Decora. Add in keystone jacks, GFCI, and USB combo receptacles, decora becomes more desired.

What I am wishing for more now is color options. Before I moved here I rarely used colored wall plates and devices. Now, close to 40% wants a color scheme to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post
            How about we throw in the mix the touch controls or the Caseta line up?
            Those are still mostly Decora style.

Comment

Anyone remember the double push button switches that were used in real old houses with knob and tube wiring? My great grandmother always wanted them and hated toggle switches.

Comment

Or keypads

Click image for larger version

Name:	keypad.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1312730

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                  Anyone remember the double push button switches that were used in real old houses with knob and tube wiring? My great grandmother always wanted them and hated toggle switches.

My whole house is knob and tube wiring and i still have plenty of double button switches in ceramic housings. I don't really consider my house to be all that old (less than 200 years is nothing) and I would probably just automate the old switches with Z-Wave dongles if the boxes were larger. I also have a fuse box with open un-insulated knife switches which makes changing fuses a high adrenaline adventure.

Comment

If you really want to start a argument ask which way the ground pin should be oriented for a duplex outlet. Up or down? Or which way the cover plate screws should be oriented. North/South or East/West?
                    I believe in the province of Quebec Canada, the ground pin has to point in the direction of the sourcing power. I believe this is the case for commercial buildings as well...

HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I saw this image recently:

Name:	ZkDdN.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1312789

And thought that triple configuration would be quite good for a scene controller. 1, 2 or 3 taps, plus a press and hold for each key = 12 possible combos. Currently on the HST 200 series we have 1 - 5 taps plus a press and hold on two keys = 12 combinations as well.

Advantage of the triple key is not having to go to 5 taps. I like having the option of 4/5 tap on the switches I have now, but to be honest I only use them for obscure, rarely run events. And my wife never uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
                        I saw this image recently:

Name:	ZkDdN.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1312789

And thought that triple configuration would be quite good for a scene controller. 1, 2 or 3 taps, plus a press and hold for each key = 12 possible combos. Currently on the HST 200 series we have 1 - 5 taps plus a press and hold on two keys = 12 combinations as well.

Advantage of the triple key is not having to go to 5 taps. I like having the option of 4/5 tap on the switches I have now, but to be honest I only use them for obscure, rarely run events. And my wife never uses them.
                        If only it were that easy to design and manufacture this stuff at an obtainable price point and bring it to market

Comment

I have the triple in a bathroom. I would love to be able to replace it with a "triple HS-WS200+," but I don't think such a thing exists. I don't have enough space to install 3 each, HS-WS200+. Any suggestions would be welcome....

Comment

Originally posted by ericg View Post
                            I have the triple in a bathroom. I would love to be able to replace it with a "triple HS-WS200+," but I don't think such a thing exists. I don't have enough space to install 3 each, HS-WS200+. Any suggestions would be welcome....
                            Install a 3 gang box.

Comment

Install a 3 gang box.
                              I don't have the space. There is a window to one side of the existing box, and a wall corner to the other side. I'm pretty sure that's why the builder used the triple in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X