Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z Wave Range (SmartStick+ vs. Z-Net EZZee vs. Z-Net ZWave.me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z Wave Range (SmartStick+ vs. Z-Net EZZee vs. Z-Net ZWave.me)

So I run HomeSeer in a docker container in a VM. Things work great, but I was having some issues with the connection of the USB SmartStick+ being shared correctly via VMWare ESXi. I figured switching to a Z-Net would be the best option.

I backed up up my configuration and restored it to a Z-Net (with EZZee chip inside). I could see a number of my nodes, but other I was unable to connect. I tried a lot of things and made some things better, and others worse.

However, the range seems to be quite inferior. Is this to be expected? Is the newer Z-Net with the ZWave.me chip better? My home is about 1500 square feet and the SmartStick+ was mounted on a USB extension cable in the attic and I had direct routing to all of my devices (including the shed in the corner of my lot). Now I see some crazy routing.

If I switch to a Z-Net with the ZWave.me interface am I able to restore my configuration?

That seems odd. I have had no such issues with coverage or responsiveness with the Ezzee card. Been using it about 3 1/2 years.

Square footage is just over 1600, not including garage where there are a few nodes. I have 23 nodes total, including the controller. All but two show direct route. Farthest node is maybe 40 ft thru four or so walls. Its a battery powered "minimote" remote so it doesn't show routing the same way, but it never fails to do it's thing.

Not sure where you are seeing the newer Z-Net with Z-Wave.me device? The international models have all come with the UZB for several years while the US versions have the Ezzee. Unfortunately, restore only works on a few versions of the UZB firmware (and not the most recent versions).

Some folks have had success using the SmartStick+ with a Raspberry Pi, so that's an option that supports restore.

Comment

Thanks! zwolfpack.

I might just try just starting from scratch with my Z-Net with Ezee. I am sure it was user error when I tried restoring my network from the SmartStick+ to the Z-Net.

I also must be wrong with the Z-Net with Z-Wave.met device. That must have been a DIY model someone was talking about.

However, if the SmartStick+ is supported in my Z-Net I might use that. I already have it and I know the hardware is good since I just used it successfully.

Also, does it matter the orientation of mounting the Z-Net or SmartStick+? I didn't know if the antenna was omnidirectional.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
        Thanks! zwolfpack.
        Also, does it matter the orientation of mounting the Z-Net or SmartStick+? I didn't know if the antenna was omnidirectional.
        I don't recall any guidance regarding orientation, other than that what the mounting holes suggest. I use those for a vertical wall mounting.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

I don't recall any guidance regarding orientation, other than that what the mounting holes suggest. I use those for a vertical wall mounting.
          Thanks again.

I got everything setup using my Z-Net with the Ezzee GPIO card. My errors must have been user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X