Push button (doorbell) interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push button (doorbell) interface

Hi, haven't been around in a while so I'm not up on current Z-Wave devices. Several years ago, before Z-Wave, I wired my doorbell button to an x-10 Powerflash using it to detect a button push and send an x-10 signal to HS. Worked great but I'm having to move away from x-10 and I haven't yet found a Z-Wave device that will do this. The thing that makes this "challenging" is I don't want to replace the existing external wired button.

The closest I've found is the Nexia Doorbell Sensor. It wires into the existing doorbell chime transformer unit. Not really what I want since I've removed that and am only using the two wires from the doorbell button. I did put a 110vac outlet up there to provide power and an x-10 path for the Powerflash.

Really all I need is a Z-Wave device that I can wire the doorbell button to. Can be either battery powered or 110vac.

Suggestions?
    Regards,
    Michael

HS3, W10 Home, HSTouch, W800, Z-Stick+

The Ecolink door/window sensor has contacts you could wire the switch to.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
      Looks perfect. Thanks!
      Regards,
      Michael

Comment

Wondering how long the switch would have to remain closed to trigger the sensor. People tend to push and release a doorbell pretty quickly.
        Regards,
        Michael

Comment

I've been using a few as sensors on doors/windows without issues for 5+ years. One is in use in regular mode with the magnet to detect an old metal security entry door from being opened, and others are in use to elevate an old NC security system (Normally Closed circuitry). Happy to report for you that response time is instant and even the shortest flash on closing contact, or the quickest disconnect/reconnect on the NC side is immediately reported to Z-Wave controller.

It also has tamper alert via micro-switch inside case if somebody opens case/lid.

Battery life has been impressive as well, almost ran 4-years on door sensor.

Comment

My experience has been the same, in that it reports on a very short duration contact. The only drawback to them is that the tamper alarm does not reset automatically. See this thread for details:https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...s-tamper-alarm. A minor issue in my opinion.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I'm using them for security purposes myself, so the fact I have to manually force a tamper-alarm reset as an authorized user (or automate it via handler) is my preference and perhaps Ecolink's reasoning behind it. Tamper alerts clearing themselves or clear via actions possible on the device would not be secure as the intrusion might then go undetected.

Had to write an event for Schlage lock as well, because if the lock is configured to auto-lock itself after 30-seconds then HomeSeer remains showing "Unlocked" on the door lock status.

An extra HomeSeer option to auto-clear would be nice though if the device supports it.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                Well, it works, sortof... Turns out my button is a little dicey. Probably old and a bit corroded - like my knees, but that's another issue...!

Thanks for the suggestion and good solution.
                Regards,
                Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mmn View Post
                  Well, it works, sortof...
                  Cheaper doorbell buttons tend to oxidize quick, you can use like vinegar tricks, but DeOXIT would be preferable or a cheap can of electronic contact cleaner at car maintenance isle.

Comment

I used the following for my doorbell, works perfectly. Everything fits inside a single gang old work box I put in the wall behind the doorbell button, but you could put it right next to the transformer in the basement/garage/closet or wherever it's located.

Connect this from the AC doorbell wires, I adjusted the doorbell detector to keep the contacts closed for about .5-1 seconds.
                    https://www.elkproducts.com/product-...-ring-detector

To the external contacts of this:
                    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15270