Need help - Individually addressable LED RGBW strip setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help - Individually addressable LED RGBW strip setup

I have a sign that I would like to apply an LED strip with individually addressable RGBW LEDs and control with Z-wave via HS3.

example: https://www.amazon.com/BTF-LIGHTING-...93&s=hi&sr=1-1

Does anyone have a setup that they've used? I need both controller hardware and plugin recommendations.

Thanks

You could DIY it via an Arduino controller that you write a HS3 plugin for (or lean on existing projects).

Or buy an existing RGBW Z-Wave controller, such as the Fibaro FGRGBW-101.

Comment

You're not going to be able to do it with z-wave, you'll need a network/wifi based solution.

Check out this channel "the hookup", on YouTube

https://youtu.be/WS6FI_NyRzs

It's been a while since I watched them but he builds the controllers from off the shelf stuff, then controls them with mqtt or node red or something. Either of those technologies have people integrating them here on the forums.

AFAIK the z-wave RGB controllers like the fibaro and Qubino are strip lighting only. They are not for addressable RGB installations.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
        You could DIY it via an Arduino controller that you write a HS3 plugin for (or lean on existing projects).

Or buy an existing RGBW Z-Wave controller, such as the Fibaro FGRGBW-101.
        I didn't think the Fibaro could handle individually addressable LED strips.
        Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
          You're not going to be able to do it with z-wave, you'll need a network/wifi based solution.

Check out this channel "the hookup", on YouTube

https://youtu.be/WS6FI_NyRzs

It's been a while since I watched them but he builds the controllers from off the shelf stuff, then controls them with mqtt or node red or something. Either of those technologies have people integrating them here on the forums.

AFAIK the z-wave RGB controllers like the fibaro and Qubino are strip lighting only. They are not for addressable RGB installations.
          Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinTexas View Post
            I didn't think the Fibaro could handle individually addressable LED strips.
            Am I wrong?
            On the Fibaro controller the strip would become a single strip with all LEDs the same, but it would "work".

That's why my first suggestion was an Arduino, which is what I use myself as well on a 4K AmbiLights clone controlled via AmbiBox software that runs on HTPC.

That will require a lot of custom software development, so your best bet would be to scour HomeSeer for what others have already done.

Seen other LED signs controlled by HomeSeer on the forum that members made, including one capable of showing pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

On the Fibaro controller the strip would become a single strip with all LEDs the same, but it would "work".

That's why my first suggestion was an Arduino, which is what I use myself as well on a 4K AmbiLights clone controlled via AmbiBox software that runs on HTPC.

That will require a lot of custom software development, so your best bet would be to scour HomeSeer for what others have already done.

Seen other LED signs controlled by HomeSeer on the forum that members made, including one capable of showing pictures.
              Thanks. Never used Arduino but I've been looking for an excuse to try it.

Comment

You might be able to achieve something with a Z-Uno like this example - https://z-uno.z-wave.me/examples/neopixel/

I have one but never really put it to use - I don't think it would be advisable trying to actually do the entire pattern setting over Z-Wave (the network traffic would probably cause issues for other devices on your Z-Wave network) and what would probably be something to try would be storing the pattern on the Arduino and then triggering the individual pattern by Z-Wave device(s).

Comment

I have built two signs using addressable RGB led matrices. They are described in the mcsMQTT plugin manual that is also at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. You just need skills to mount tiles of 256 LEDs onto a sign and make a few electrical connections. The mcsMQTT plugin makes it extremely easy to integrate the sign with HS.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I have what I need.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinTexas View Post
                      Thanks guys. I think I have what I need.
                      What did you end up doing? I'm trying to decide if its worth the hassle to do addressable LEDs or just stick with the standard strips I already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post

What did you end up doing? I'm trying to decide if its worth the hassle to do addressable LEDs or just stick with the standard strips I already have.
                        After a lot of thought, I decided to use an RGBW strip and I'm controlling it with a Fibaro FGRGBWM-441. The individually addressable LED strip turned out to be overkill for this project.

My wife bought a house number sign that has the house number and street name laser cut on a steel disc. It's designed to be mounted on the house, but I have it on standoffs about an inch and a half long. I mounted the RGBW strips on the back of the disc so they would light up the brick behind the sign and show through the cutouts. They're in far enough from the edges of the disc that you can't see them unless you're standing directly beside the sign. Even then, they are low profile enough that you have to be looking to notice them.

I normally backlight it at sunset with white light but I also have HS3 events that turn it Red for Valentine's Day, Orange for Halloween, Green for St. Patty's day etc. It's exactly what we were aiming for so I made the right choice of strips.

Comment

Working...
                        X