Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, how do I properly import devices from the USB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, how do I properly import devices from the USB?

I just got the above Z-Wave interface for HomeSeer but having some issues. I disconnected the USB and went around the house adding all my devices like lights and locks which was super handy to do. When I plug it back into HomeSeer though the devices don't add, so I tried the option about Import Node information from Controller which did add all devices, but none of them work. All the locks gave some security failed error, and all the light switches just show the device name. Everything just says Off, and has no control to turn them on or do anything further. Do I need to do something else?

Did you do any optimizations on your devices? If your devices are newer devices you should be able to leave your Z-Wave interface inserted into your PC and use the add node option in the Z-Wave interface options?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I had the HomeSeer Z-Wave USB but it died, so I bought the Aeotec one because it said you can walk around the house with the USB in your hand adding all devices which seemed way easier. If I plug it into the PC and add them it works, but that defeats the purpose of using this particular Z-Wave interface is all.

Comment

Did you do network optimizations? For newer Z-Wave devices you can include them from within HS3 and it does a light optimization during device enrollment. If you use the stick you must manually optimize your network a couple of times to get all of the Z-Wave routes set.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

To elaborate on Rupp's explanation on how to fix it, it might help understanding the underlying basics of Z-Wave.
          Including a device with the controller right next to it is awesome indeed. But it can restrict the device to only understand a direct connection between node #1 of the interface, and the node number assigned to the device itself.

Z-Wave is a mesh network, so when communication from interface controller node #1 to node #9 in garage doesn't work directly, it will try to perhaps 'hop' via repeater node #3 in the kitchen.

It could even be that the distance between node #9 in the garage and controller #1 is impossible without node #3 in kitchen amplifying the Z-Wave network range. Therefore adding node #9 direct with Z-Wave stick next to it will fail when you plug it back into PC.

Node #9 needs to be aware it has to rely on #3 to communicate.

These network neighborhood nodes are visible in the node information overview, or Z-Wave tab on each device when you expand information. The optimize buttons allow you to repair them, and have devices rediscover new mesh pathways.

Battery devices however need to be placed in awake mode, so my experience has always been that it's okay to include repeater supportive AC powered devices with interface controller nearby, and then repair network afterwards, but to include battery devices at their physical destination if possible.

Personally I've experienced the least amount of issues by including devices all at their physical location, and start with the devices closest to controller to create the foundation for the mesh network. Setting up HomeSeer PC first and allow control via a mobile device gives the same flexibility of including devices on the spot.

Comment

Working...
          X