Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why doesn't anyone make a zwave outdoor temp sensor that works below 32? even on usb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why doesn't anyone make a zwave outdoor temp sensor that works below 32? even on usb

seems like a big use-case. if for nothing else to know what the outdoor temp is. yet all of the sensors (even the outdoor-rates ones) seem to stop at 32 or above 0. much less go down to -20 or so. the reason i keep reading is that batteries don't function when cold. (but they do in my blink...) but i'm asking for one that is powered even.

seems like a market opportunity.

I'm in Cleveland as well, and use Fibaro eyeball sensors just fine outside (inside entry way that only protects from rain before you get to frontdoor) down to -4F before they stop reporting. Alkaline batteries don't do well below 32F or even near it, but Lithium ones have no problem. The CR123A batteries used in many sensors are Lithium based. You can also buy Energizer AA lithium batteries, which I've used on an older Aeon Labs sensor outside once (new ones use 2x CR123A).

Another solution is to use a Qubino, Fibaro, FortrezZ, Remotec, or an alike Z-Wave device that supports external sensors. Then you keep Z-Wave device shielded from nature (inside even) but have the probe outside. Most of them are compatible with cheap DS18B20 probes, but Qubino includes their own branded one with many of their kits (most likely based on DS18B20 as well) or you can buy it for $7.95 by itself and they are rated from -58F to +257F.

Personally I'm moving the hell out of Cleveland if it gets `that` cold or warm outside

Comment

It's not zwave but many thermostats have the ability to run and outdoor temp sensor.

Comment

A little related but ... i have installed the hue outdoor sensor...do you think it will report temperature this winter ?

temp cans go below -20 degree C (-4 F) sometime here.

Comment

Being in Cleveland made me discover -40F converts to -40C, which it got one winter with wind chill factor included. I'm sure it's no fun in Montreal either.

That whole turning hot water into instant snow trick is fun, until you freeze your ba*** off

Comment

Mine's been outside for years (on a covered balcony)...

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/produc...sensor-6-gen-5

Comment

Originally posted by NutsyHome View Post
              Mine's been outside for years (on a covered balcony)...

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/produc...sensor-6-gen-5
              What’s the lowest temperature they report?
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

What’s the lowest temperature they report?
                Spec sheet says 14 degrees... We've been down to 27 in the last few days. I'll stick mine in the freezer and see what happens...

Edit: It's reporting at 4 degrees, within a degree or two of another thermometer in the freezer.

Comment

Hi, I have an Aeon Labs multi 6 sensor in the garage running on USB power. Temperature has stopped at 0.05 C, although so far we have been down to around -12 C. I have asked myself the same question when digital sensors are available for the temperatures we see down to ~ -40C. WOuld be great to get true readings from the great outdoors.

Comment

I always thought it was battery related and that if you used a unit capable of and with external power, such as USB, you were okay.
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events
                    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I am tired of dealing with battery powered zwave devices so went with Oregon Scientific sensors (temperature, humidity, rain gauge) instead. Coupled with rfxcom receiver they are very reliable. The rfxcom receiver has great range, it picks up sensors all over the house, inside and outside. It even picks up my neighbor’s sensors. The battery on my OS sensors all last about 1-2 years, some even longer.

Comment

Working...
                      X