best polling practices for z-wave devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best polling practices for z-wave devices

Something that I've never been fully clear on - when polling z-wave devices, which child device to actually poll. For example - a light device with a root device, a central scene device and a switch device. If I want to poll the device periodically just in case the switch gets turned on but doesn't successfully notify HS, do I want to poll the root device, or switch device? i've been polling both, just to be paranoid.....

Originally posted by paul View Post
    Something that I've never been fully clear on - when polling z-wave devices, which child device to actually poll. For example - a light device with a root device, a central scene device and a switch device. If I want to poll the device periodically just in case the switch gets turned on but doesn't successfully notify HS, do I want to poll the root device, or switch device? i've been polling both, just to be paranoid.....
    If you examine your child devices, you will see that each child device has the same ZWave node id as the root device (ZWave node id is separate from the HS Device ID, and can be found on the ZWave tab).

Since you are actually polling the ZWave node id, you only need to do it once.

(I have seen some devices have multiple ZWave node id's, so check yours to see if they are different or the same.)

Comment

Perfect, that’s what I needed to know. Makes sense in hindsight. Thanks!

Comment

If you poll the root, it will report values for each child device. If you poll a child device, it will only return the value for that child. If you don’t care about the other child nodes, polling only the relevant child minimizes z-wave traffic.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

That’s also good to know. Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X