Cooper Light Switches keep losing Association to Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper Light Switches keep losing Association to Homeseer

My home is fitted throughout with the Cooper (Eaton) light switches and dimmers. Most seem stable, but in a handful of locations, they persistently loose Association with Homeseer.

Of particular annoyance, is the control of my Garage lighting.

I have a Switch in the Entrance Hall and 2 x Accessory switches in the Garage. Started with the Cooper RF9501 in the entrance hall about 5 years back and last year replaced all the switches with the newer S2 versions (RF9601 + accessory).

This issues has persisted through many versions of HS3 and the z-wave plpug-in and continues in the HS4 Beta and the Beta z-wave s2 plug-in.

Upon install, the master switch and accessory switches all show in Homeseer and can be associated with Homeseer and controlled b HSTouch and events.

After a period of a few weeks, the 2 accessory switches loose Association and cease to respond to Homeseer commands and will not respond to a Rescan, Add or Remove from network command. Currently my log is showing "z-wave was unable to negotiate a compatible security scheme with node xx" for the accessory switches.

I do not believe this is related to a weak z-wave network in these locations since the door sensors next to the switches work consistently as well as the tool Z-Tool+. The sensors are battery powered, while the switches are 120v.

It has also been consistent that I am unable to remove these devices from the network. On the odd occasion, running Add to network reconnect a switch, but that is very inconsistent.

Does anyone have any ideas why this occurs? There is little information to help on this from the switch manufacturer and ho hard factory reset option that I can find.

I really do not want to keep replacing the switches every few months.

Optimizing the network has not resolved this problem.

Homeseer runs on a Win10 home platform and uses the homeseer z-wave usb interface.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue, or how to get deeper into the system to find the true cause would be beneficial.

Mny thanks for your time reading this.

Steve

I too have Cooper Eaton switches, masters and slaves. All of the RF9517s slaves are failing. I have tried to get Cooper to fess up and replace them (I have over 30 slaves).and they blow me off. They just started shipping Version 2 which when it pairs with Z-tool, fails to create some of the nodes. Still trying to debug that. Add to that Osram is discontinuing the Lightify product line (they too disassociate all of the time) and I am slowing beginning to think that these "smart home" products are not ready for prime time and that the vendors don't have the stomach to fix their messes. Halo Smokes closed up shop rather than fix their defective devices and I had to replace all of them. Seems to be a trend. For sure, those of us with smart but short lived homes are on the bleeding edge and we're all going to end up paying two or three times until these vendors learn how to make computer based products that last longer than 12 months.. GAF

Comment

When you say Accessory I am assuming you mean an RF9617? My thought is you are getting some power surges on the circuit that is supplying the accessory switches. If you toggle the breaker to the accessory switches can you then re-add to the network? Are the accessory switches on a GFCI or AFCI circuit? This might be causing an issue - AFCI more likely than GFCI. Can you add a surge protector at the main panel? This helped me.

Comment

I don't know what is causing your issue, but I will say that my basement is loaded up with Cooper switches for about 4 years now, and I've never lost one in the way described. I have had one go flaky on me, but that's it. Since then in the rest of my house I've moved to HS switches and a couple of Inovelli switches, which I find I prefer to the Coopers. The Coopers look pretty, but I like the double/triple taps available on the HS and Inovellis.....

Comment

I have around 70 Coopers throughout the house. I have had one or two switches lose association when there was a power failure. They re-add fine...

Was wondering if there is a way to re-associate a switch and keep the same dev ref. Would be nice.

Comment

I have 58 Cooper Switches (Consisting of RF9501 and RFWC5 switches). 23 of them have disassociated themselves from my HomeSeer Z-Net controller.

I've tried many different things over the years, and I've not been able to stop switches from going off-line. 😔

Comment

Working...
            X