Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

z-wave outlet suddenly gone - what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z-wave outlet suddenly gone - what are my options?

I have a z-wave outlet in my master bathroom that suddenly disappeared from my setup.

It didn't happen intentionally or gracefully as my events are still showing a place for it - see below.

The outlet is a long way from the Z-Net so I would need to unplug the Z-Net and move it in order to re-add it.

What happened here and is there anyway to get it back without moving the Z-Net, re-adding, and re-doing all of my events? Thanks.
    Attached Files

Did someone steal it? Have you tried doing a remove on the device and then adding it back to your network? The only time I've seen this is when the Z-Nets SD card is getting old and has a miswrite.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No one stole it - the outlet is still in the wall! It is an old Z-Net. I have tried re-adding because it means moving the Z-Net and it didn’t want to do that. I probably will have to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It could be that the units Z-Wave radio failed as well or is getting weak.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Does the device still appear in the Z-Wave node list? (Plugins->Z-Wave->Node Information)

The HS device has somehow been deleted, but the node is a separate entity. The NVRAM in the Z-Net's Z-Wave controller has an entry for each node.

When looking at the Node information page, for each node there is a 'Full Name' field that contains the name of the associated HS device. Since the HS device is gone in this case, I'd expect this field to be blank or some sort of error message, if the node is still in the Z-Wave controller.

Comment

If the node is gone from the node list then yeah, try excluding and including it again. However, if it still shows up in the node list, I would just try doing a re-import of devices from your z-wave controller and see if it comes back.....

Comment

The node is indeed gone from the list. I was adding a Kwikset lock when this happened. The Kwikset locks are tricky to add - requires several add and deletes to finally get it to load all of the child nodes. It took four tries but worked. Then immediately after this noticed that this device was messed up.

I don't think this was a normal delete because homeseer would have gracefully removed it from the events instead of leaving the phantom references? I have seen this once and a while in the past - so going to chalk it up to a glitch. It's possible that something went wrong with the outlet's radio, that will show when I try to delete and re-add it.

Will have to unplug the Z-Net and move it closer to the device and re-add. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Comment

A quick update in case it is helpful for someone else. The node did not appear in the node list. I moved the Z-Net and excluded it and it did say that it successfully removed a node. So clearly something was amiss here. It added back in without any issues. I would have done this as my first course of action if it were not for the fact that it is too far away from the Z-Net and it involved some work to relocate the Z-Net temporarily. Also, I was looking for a graceful way of doing this without having to recreate all of the events. But as the original device had disappeared there was no way around it. All good now.

Comment

I’ve had the unpleasant circumstance of adding a difficult Zwave device that “stole” an existing device’s node number. The old device then disappeared off the list. Sounds like this is what happened to you. Re-adding the device brought it back without issue other than having to change dev ref in events and scripts that the old device was used in.

My network is getting nearly full with over 200 nodes so I wonder if this is why this type of error occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                    A quick update in case it is helpful for someone else. The node did not appear in the node list. I moved the Z-Net and excluded it and it did say that it successfully removed a node. So clearly something was amiss here. It added back in without any issues. I would have done this as my first course of action if it were not for the fact that it is too far away from the Z-Net and it involved some work to relocate the Z-Net temporarily. Also, I was looking for a graceful way of doing this without having to recreate all of the events. But as the original device had disappeared there was no way around it. All good now.
                    Sorry if I missed it, but why did you have to move the znet. I've never had to do that in a 4000 sq. ft. house with near 100 devices and never had it not include.

Comment

Bigger house and about smaller network - 87 devices. I have several devices at opposite ends of the house that will not add until I move the Z-Net nearer to them. Or they add and have issues adding child devices etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X