Z-Wave Outdoor rated gate door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Outdoor rated gate door lock

We are putting up a new gate entry I want to see what folks have done with a Z-Wave Outdoor rated gate door lock.

Since it is a gate it will get rained on, Freeze, melt in the Texas heat...

What are you using in this application? is all hope lost and I'm stuck with a mechanical lock?

Devoir

I'm not aware of any zwave solutions for your gate. But they do make weather resistant remote access locks. These are typically triggered via a NC/NO terminal. You'd need to supply them with low voltage power and then trigger the contact with a zwave dry contact relay. I found several eletro-magnetic solutions by searching for IP67 and IP68 etc electric door lock. "ip68 electromagnetic door lock" returned this one that looked promising: https://www.rfxsecure.com/product/el...l-wooden-door/

or this one labeled for pedestrian gates
    https://www.gatecrafters.com/product...caAuFDEALw_wcB (this one has a nice video talking about gate locks)

You could also install a small swing gate opener. https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mule-M...789135570&th=1 or something similar. Using a swing gate opener you could both open and secure the gate when desired. double check the failsafe/power or anti intrusion options since my experience is with sliding gates, not swing. My sliding gate will not open as long as I have power/battery backup. By turning off the power/battery backup I can manually open the gate by sliding it. A gate opener may include a remote app, the mighty mule line does. You can still wire a zwave dry contact relay to their operating contacts for control via homeseer. Another bonus of a swing gate would be battery/solar powered options. For some reason I now have the Addam's Family theme running through my head as I picture a swing gate opening/closing by itself; makes me want to add an outdoor speaker to my gate to play sound effects....

Word to the wise, I live in Texas and our summers top 100 degrees. I found that zwave dry contact relays installed in my gate controller enclosure only survived 1 to 2 years before failure, I've since run some extra low voltage line into conditioned space to pamper my dry contact switches.

Last bit of advice, consider safety measures. I have a camera on my gate to double check it's position before I operate it remotely. I also have a a photo eye to reverse the gate if something breaks it while it's closing, required by building code here. I have an event that sends a push notification to my phone if my alarm panel doesn't indicate the gate is closed after I've issued a close command. Your local building code may also have something to say about pedestrian gate closure systems. In Dallas sliding gates are not meant for pedestrian use and you're supposed to have a dedicated pedestrian gate. Again no experience with the swing version, maybe they are less prone to crushing pedestrians due to their arc of travel. Nevertheless I could envision the potential for crushing injuries with them.
    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
    Number of Devices: 1005
    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

jmaddox,

Really appreciate the information, we just moved to Coppell, we moved away 20 years ago and ugggg I forgot how hot it can get here....

I have been searching for the traditional door knob/handle type I hadn't considered a gate opener like the ones you shared.

I like the idea of incorporating the camera. I just completed that project in April before the heat.

This gives me a lot to think about ....

Devoir

Comment

Working...
      X