Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace 6 Z-Wave switches - what do I choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace 6 Z-Wave switches - what do I choose?

So I have in total six switches (on/off) that all have failed due to LED lamp usage. It is 4 Fibaro Wall Plugs and 2 Fibaro modules (the ones you can hide so to speak in the wall). Since Fibaro does not seem to like LED loads, we are talking about very low loads, 1-2 watt LED lamps, that just seem to fail in Fibaros.

Any good advice on what to use instead? Qubino? Aeotec?

I believe Qibino in-wall switching modules, on the output side, have Omron relays. I don't think the relays will have difficulties switching 2W loads regardless of the load type. Most likely, the same will apply to Aeotec in-wall modules.

Your load is indeed a little unusual. Is it connected directly to the wall? Even if it is, the current in the the range of 5-10mA is low but not low enough to justify the failure rate you experiencing.
    (Qubino modules can be ran from 24V and then, the the relay output contacts are all yours - your load can be connected to any (low) voltage.)

Comment

I am not sure you are supposed to run the Fibaro modules (dimmers) with less than 10W I believe. Worth checking, that could be the issue. I know they do a dummy load for very low loads. If you do not use that then that could be the reason for them failing

The dummy load is called FBS-212 Dimmer Bypass (there could be others)

Comment

Well that is for dimmers, this is only switching on/off. And the Fibaro Wall Plug only supports On7Off switching by the way.

Most modern LED lamps are from about 1w to say 7w or so - so not being able to handle such light load is a major drawback.

Comment

If you do not need instant response (HS updating < 1 minute when a when is turned on or off), and you are running HS4, I would suggest Tuya compatible switches. You can choose from glass front, paddles, relays or dimmers. They are far less expensive than Z-Waves. They are not compatible with your current Z-Wave remote.

~Bill

Comment

Working...
          X