Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Troller and "Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Troller and "Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time"

Good Afternoon,

I've been searching and searching and nothing I've found seems to speak to this particular issue.

Just the facts please...
    1. HS3 on windows 7 - Been running for years with no issues. One Z-Troller, it is the only controller.
    2. Out of the blue began getting "Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect."
    3. Began not having fun...
    4. Been meaning to upgrade to HS4 (Linux). Just so happens I'd made preparations for Linux already (another computer built with Linux Mint 20 installed).
    5. Began HS4 installation. I'm doing it clean because anything else would just be a magnet for problems. Sure, It'll take me days to add back all my stuff but at least it'll work.
    6. Came time to install the Z-Wave plugin and guess what... "Only one system may connect to an Ethernet interface at one time. If 2 systems are connecting to your Z-Wave interface, HomeSeer will not connect." New hardware. Clean installation. Same problem.🤨
    7. I figured I needed to factory reset the Z-troller so...
      1. Can't do it in HS4 or HS3 because the error prevents access to the Z-Troller through the plugin.
      2. Unplugged, removed batteries, and left if overnight... no joy.
      3. Wept softly.
      4. Turning to the community because frustration loves company.
    Someone please tell me what I'm missing.🤔

This error message is confusing and misleading. The Z-Wave plugin prints this when it gets no response back from the attached Z-Wave controller after it has successfully opened the specified Ethernet or serial communication port. It's nonsense in the case of a serial interface.

If the problem appeared out of the blue and you hadn't made any changes, it seems likely that the unit has failed. Correct me if I'm wrong, Z-Troller has an RS-232 serial interface; try a new serial cable to rule out a problem with that.

Comment

So... um... yeah. Thank you so much for your assistance!

<SOLVED!>

Here's my process after reading your reply:
      1. Bad unit? Thought crossed my mind so I guess I'll get a new controller if I have to.
      2. Test the cable. I guess I have another serial cable around here in my "museum" box or something.
      3. Wait, the Z-Troller uses an 8-pin DIN connector. Hmm... complicates things but that's connected to a USB converter and an 8-pin to standard 9-pin serial converter. Better see what I can replace tonight and what I'll need to order.
      4. <Climbs behind "server rack" (geek, I know - believe me)> Wait a second, why is the USB plugged into the Linux box but the 8-PIN cable from controller dangling in fee-space, unplugged?
      5. Are. You. Kidding. Me!
      6. <Thinks to self> "I can go silent on the forum and no one will ever know what kind of careless nut I've been. No, you have to take responsibility!"
      7. <Plugs cable> <Starts plugin in Linux HS4> Works fine.
      Apparently I disconnected the Z-Troller cable from the converter cable when I slid the Linux box in place the other night.

I eat a lot of eggs, probably shouldn't, but the serving on my face right now is a bit too much.

Feeble defense: The cables are fixed in place in the front so everything looked right.

Really,
      thank you! I wouldn't have gone behind there if you hadn't suggested a bad cable.

Comment

glad you got it sorted! Those "little things" will get you every time!

Comment

Working...
        X