Purging unused Z-Wave node numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purging unused Z-Wave node numbers

Is there a way to purge unused mode numbers (i.e. nodes that have been removed from the system).
    During testing (of a Fibaro Implant FGBS-222) this device was added and removed several times, each time incrementing the node number, now I have a heap unused and I'd like to tidy up but cannot find a way to purge these node numbers.
    Using HS4 (4.1.18.0) on Windows with Z-Wave Core (3.0.7.0) Z-Wave driver.
    Thanks in advance.

I have done this in the past. There is a file in HS3 you can edit and remove the unused numbers, hopefully it is the same in HS4. Then next time you add devices HS fills in the gaps. I can't remember the name of the file but I'm sure Google can.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Hollaway View Post
      Is there a way to purge unused mode numbers (i.e. nodes that have been removed from the system).
      During testing (of a Fibaro Implant FGBS-222) this device was added and removed several times, each time incrementing the node number, now I have a heap unused and I'd like to tidy up but cannot find a way to purge these node numbers.
      Using HS4 (4.1.18.0) on Windows with Z-Wave Core (3.0.7.0) Z-Wave driver.
      Thanks in advance.
      It is theoretically possible by backing up the interface, manually editing the backup file, and then restoring it to overwrite the controller. However, the potential for messing things up is high, so I wouldn't recommend.

Just live with it. When the system reaches the maximum node number it just goes back and starts filling in the gaps, so there are no issues with leaving things be.

Steve

Comment

In HS3 it was the file created when a zwave backup was created. It was a simple text file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What Steve said. Leaving the gaps in the number sequence is the nature of the Z-wave specification, it's not a HS flaw. While it would be nice for a nice and tight node number sequence, it's strictly a cosmetic thing. There are all kinds of pointers associated with the node numbers, it's not recommended to alter how the z-wave controller does its housekeeping.

Comment

As TC1 said, I recommend not changing things manually. Just delete the nodes. When the z-wave controller gets to 255 (I think) it will go back to 0 and find the next available node (that you deleted before). I am kind of a neat freak when it comes to things like that, i.e. I like to have no gaps and I like to have z-wave nodes numbers close to each other that are also physically close. However, I have come to accept that it is best to just let z-wave do what it does. Seems to work fine.

Comment

Looks like my OCD is going to have to take a back seat here.
              Thanks guys

Comment

I was just asking my self this SAME question. my OCD is dying on the inside as i keep adding / removing these damn water sensors that dont want to add correctly.

Comment

I agree with the others and caution against doing this. I think the only exception, and I was forced into this, is when one finds Zombie nodes that cannot be removed in any other way. One of the downsides of having to take this step is that you will lose your routing and have to rebuild that. HSx will reuse blank nodes if needed.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                  Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                  Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                  WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.174,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.0,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.50.128.5,JowiHue 4.1.3.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.25.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.0.3

Comment

Also remember that the ZWave node number is different than the HS ID number. There is a mechanism to replace the HS ID numbers. ZWave node numbers are not used all that much by HS, which favors using the HS ID number.

Comment

Working...
                    X