Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to troubleshoot intermitten Zwave drops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to troubleshoot intermitten Zwave drops?

I have a couple Zwave devices that randomly would not response it would go into unknown status then later come back. 2 are Nortek dry contacts and the other is a Schlage door lock. Fresh batteries in lock.

What kind of distance is there between the devices and what other devices do you have in the path

Comment

I have a zwave device at every single switch in the house. Something like 37 devices all together so distance isn't an issue.

Example. 2 identical dry contact switches one outside inside my gate opener which is the furthest from anything else (30ft) that works all the time, same model switch 10ft from the main hub that fail to response sometime.

Schlange lock at the front door is 5 ft from the closes group of switches that fail to respond occasionally even with fresh batteries.

Comment

I have identical situation - every single light switch in home, even many GPOs and many other various Z-Wave devices, scattered over entire home. Yet even a device that's a mere metre away from the Z-Wave stick can be non-responsive one minute and work the next, yet items on other end of house work super reliably.

I just write it off as Z-Wave stupidity. Though for a couple of really important items, particularly the front door that was often resulting in it being left unlocked, I've written code that detects "unknown" states and starts re-polling them to get an accurate status and then re-initiate their state change.

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
          I have a couple Zwave devices that randomly would not response it would go into unknown status then later come back. 2 are Nortek dry contacts and the other is a Schlage door lock. Fresh batteries in lock.
          Go into the Z-Wave -> Node Information screen and take a look at the last good path. If it's not direct to the controller (no intermediate nodes) then it's OK, other than maybe the stick or controller is too far away. The Schlage locks go to sleep and wake up from a Wakeup command from a controller or repeating device that supports 'Beaming'. The stick, of course, supports beaming but if the last path has another device in the chain that does not support beaming then you'll get exactly what you see. If the lock happens to be away, it will connect. If not, your out of luck.

The way to fix it is to install a Z-Wave repeater (like the AEOTEC Repeater 6 or 7). The differences are exactly what you think. The 6 support the 600 series chips while the 7 supports up to the 700 chips. The 7's have been scarce lately but for the lock a 6 will work just fine.

Just plug it in somewhere that's close to the lock. Then do an add node on HS and then hold down the include button on the repeater. It will add as a Sigmatec repeating node. Then go back into the lock node and manually set the route (in the manual route box) to the repeater node ID. That will fix the lock not recognizing a command.

I have 2 Schlage locks and a Kwikset lock and two AEOTEC 7's and all 3 not work reliably.

Comment

Working...
          X