How to set up scene buttons on ZEN32?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up scene buttons on ZEN32?

Feeling a little stupid here. Been a software developer and computer engineer for most of my career, but I'm at a loss on how to program the scene buttons on my new ZEN32 scene controller to control other Z-Wave devices I have.

This is replacing an 8-button Insteon device (due to the Insteon issues), but I really only need 4 buttons.

I recently installed a HomeSeer HomeTroller Plus hub, and have added about a dozen Z-Wave devices to HS4. I have added the main on/off relay of the ZEN32 to HS4 and it works fine.

But now I want to set up the scene buttons so that when I press one, it turns an existing Z-Wave device on or off. Don't need dimmer features or anything fancy... just basic on/off.

For example, I have a Z-Wave device in HS4 called "pool light". I want to set up one of the scene buttons on the ZEN32 so that when I press it, the pool light turns on. Press it again, it turns off.

Looking at the instructions from Zooz, they provide detailed instructions for HA, Hubitat, and other Z-wave controllers, but not for HomeSeer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don't feel bad, the operation isn't at all obvious. The Zen32 is really two devices in one unit. A one button relay switch and a five button scene controller. Like other Z-Wave scene controllers, all it does is sends a scene change code to the host whenever a button is pressed, held, multi-tapped, or released. There's a few posts on how this all works (search forum for Zen32) but this is one of the more active ones: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...-child-devices

Hope this helps,
    Ken
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Ken -- yes, that helped! I was able to set up control of my pool light. But am I correct in that you have to set it up like "press1 time for on", "press and hold for off" ? You can't just set if up like "press once to turn on", "press again to turn off" ?

Comment

Originally posted by adleeds View Post
        Ken -- yes, that helped! I was able to set up control of my pool light. But am I correct in that you have to set it up like "press1 time for on", "press and hold for off" ? You can't just set if up like "press once to turn on", "press again to turn off" ?
        You can do that but considering it's just a scene callback to HS, not an actual device, you an do it by testing the state of the current pool light. If the pool light is on, then turn the light off and the reverse. Just remember on the Zen 32 pressing the scene button will not set the button light or color. For that you need the 2nd statement in each event. If you are turning the light off, I assume you want the button light to also go off.

Something like below that I do with my own Zen 32's. This one is for an X-10 outdoor flood but you can test any device that HomeSeer controls.
        See below, the same button pressed 1 time will toggle the real device as you set the button status LED state.

Why waste a perfectly good "Hold to Trigger" event? You can keep that one up your sleeve!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zen32.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1542703

Comment

Easy Trigger's toggle is also quite useful for ON/OFF type control.

Comment

George -- I understand what you're doing, but I can't figure out how to get to the "indicator" control in the HS event creation. Is there something that needs to be done to define the ZEN32 indicators to HS?

Comment

George's screenshot is from HS3, so it might be a little odd to you. The Zen32 button indicators are Z-Wave parameters and are set using the Set Z-Wave parameter action like this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 10.22.49 AM.png
Views:	645
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1542903

You can find the Z-Wave parameters for the Zen32 here: https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/a...nced-settings/
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

kenm Thanks... I figured he wasn't running HS4, but I was able to figure out everything in HS4 except the indicators. You pointed me in the right direction. It looks like they have included the ability to turn indicators on/off as part of the Z-Wave actions (see below).

One more question: what do most people do to make labels for the ZEN32 buttons?

Name:	Z wave actions.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1542913

Comment

Interesting. I hadn't tried that action. They must interrogate the device to figure out the indicators. I just tried it on one of my Zen32s and the button numbering isn't mapped correctly. I tried to turn on the indicator for Button 1 and it turned on Button 5's indicator. I'll stick with the Z-wave parameter method since I know that works. YMMY.

EDIT: Forgot the second part. I haven't found a good labelling method. I tried with a P-Touch label printer and it didn't pass my wife's inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                    Interesting. I hadn't tried that action. They must interrogate the device to figure out the indicators. I just tried it on one of my Zen32s and the button numbering isn't mapped correctly. I tried to turn on the indicator for Button 1 and it turned on Button 5's indicator. I'll stick with the Z-wave parameter method since I know that works. YMMY.

EDIT: Forgot the second part. I haven't found a good labelling method. I tried with a P-Touch label printer and it didn't pass my wife's inspection.
                    Yeah, you have to figure out the button mapping, it's not straight forward but you can just press one, turn on logging in the Z-Wave plugin, and when you press the button you'll get a log entry as to which scene/button was pressed.

As for setting the color of each button, That's what the set a parameter directly line is for above. Each button corresponds to a parameter and each color is a number.

The parameters are in the Zen32 documentation.

Comment

As for labels, Avery has some clear return labels that you can print on a laser printer (not inkjet or they will smudge unless you cover them with regular transparent tape). You can print the wording any way you'd like and just scissor or Exacto knife cut out the label to the exact size you want.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Yeah, you have to figure out the button mapping, it's not straight forward but you can just press one, turn on logging in the Z-Wave plugin, and when you press the button you'll get a log entry as to which scene/button was pressed.

As for setting the color of each button, That's what the set a parameter directly line is for above. Each button corresponds to a parameter and each color is a number.

The parameters are in the Zen32 documentation.
                        I just did some experiments and found that the button # for the scene (x000) isn't the same as the indicator button # for the action to turn on/off the indicator. Be cautious when using the indicator actions.

Comment

I switched to using the parameters instead of the indicator controls, that way I can change the colors too. And the indicator On/Off control only seems to know about buttons 1 and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by adleeds View Post
                            I switched to using the parameters instead of the indicator controls, that way I can change the colors too. And the indicator On/Off control only seems to know about buttons 1 and 2.
                            Much safer. As an example, One of my Zen32's lists Button1-10, another Button1-2, yet another Button1-5 (correct), and another Button1-25? Sticking with parameters.

Comment

My, what have I done? I've created a ZEN color button cult! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X