Zwave wall switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zwave wall switch question

As every know most switches have a light on them to indicate there functionality. So my question is when the switch is controlling a bulb and the bulb burns out, should the indicator light still be lit even do the bulb is burnt out? Does the bulb have a effect to the switch In Order to work?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

For every z-wave switch I have seen the indicator switch just tells you if the light switch is on or off. It does not matter if there is a device pulling power downstream of the switch. Note also that many of these switches allow you to change the indicator LED to be lit when the switch is on, or when the switch is off. Most of my switches have the LED indicator on when the switch is off (find the switch in the dark) but the one for my garage light has the indicator on when the switch is on. This is because the switch is in the house so I do not need to open the door to the garage to know the light is off.

Note also that the HomeSeer switches have additional functionally with the RGB LEDs.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Strange thing happened to me. I have the LED on when the switch is off for night location purposes. One night I noticed that the switch does not have the LED on nor the light will switch on manually. So I decided to buy a new Switch and replace the one that I thought was deffective. After installing the switch the light did not turn on but the LED on the switch lit up. So I replaced the bulb and all is in working order. I was assuming that the bulb had something to do with the LED not turning on and of course not turning on the light.
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

It depends upon if the switch is using a neutral wire.

If it doesn't have a neutral and the bulb burns out, the the LED will not work.

If the switch is connected to a neutral and the bulb burns out then the LED will still work.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
          It depends upon if the switch is using a neutral wire.

If it doesn't have a neutral and the bulb burns out, the the LED will not work.

If the switch is connected to a neutral and the bulb burns out then the LED will still work.
          That's makes sense 🤔
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

So you're saying if the switch doesn't have a neutral the LED will not work, Will that make the switch not function mechanically?
            Hector
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
              So you're saying if the switch doesn't have a neutral the LED will not work, Will that make the switch not function mechanically?
              Correct (if designed properly).

Think about this: The switch is an electro-mechanical device, it needs power to operate just like anything else you plug into a wall outlet. Without a neutral wire in the box, it's like plugging an appliance into a wall outlet when one of the prongs is broken off... it won't be able to complete the circuit.

No-neutral smart switches complete their circuit through the load/bulb, the socket where the bulb is inserted has a neutral wire wired to one side of it. So if the bulb "burns out" or goes bad and can't complete the circuit then the smart switch can't operate. With a regular/dumb mechanical switch this doesn't matter.

Not having a neutral at the switch box is a bad practice that electricians did years ago to save time/money, before the advent of smart switches. The current National Electrical Code requires neutrals in all wall box locations for new house builds.

Comment

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a bad practice on the Electricians part as at the time it was entirely legal in the code of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
                  I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a bad practice on the Electricians part as at the time it was entirely legal in the code of the day.
                  Yes, it was legal according to code at the time, but it was done purely to save $$$. I've worked on plenty of older homes that have a neutral at every box, and some that don't. It depended on the disposition of the builder or electrician.

Comment

Thank you guys for teaching me the differences
                    Hector
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Working...
                    X