Z-Wave Automatic Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Automatic Backup

I noticed a folder in my HS3 Data folder called Z-Wave. In that folder there are many files and a folder called Backup. The Backup folder has five files named Z-Wave2_1.db thru Z-Wave2_5.db. All of them have todays date except for Z-Wave2_2.db which has yesterday date. Are these files backup copies of the device definition database from the Z-Wave daughter board in the Z-NET unit? Where are they coming from? From the Plugin drop down menu for Z-Wave there is an option to create a backup of the Z-Wave database. I ran that option and it saved a file to the Z-Wave folder but not the Backup sub folder. I don't run that option on a regular basis. Where did all the other files come from?

The *.zwave and *.nodes files in the Z-Wave folder are the ones used to restore your Z-Wave controller.

The .zwave and .nodes data represent the node table stored in the controller NVRAM. The .zwave is used to restore to the older 500 series controllers and the .node is used for the 700 series. Both contain the same data but in a different format as needed by the restore utilities.

The plugin generates both .zwave and .nodes when you add or remove a node, or when you run a manual backup using the menu option that you referenced.

ZWave2.db is an SQLite database file. It's not useful for restoring to a controller. It's apparent use is to cache Z-Wave device data.

Note that the HS4 plugin no longer uses this database.

On my system, the dates of the files 1-5 in the Backup folder are 11/13, 8/22, 9/15, 7/7, 9/8. The first one corresponds to the last time the Z-Wave plugin was restarted; 9/15 was the last time HS3 restarted (crashed) and 9/8 was another HS3 crash. From this I'd guess that the backups occur when the plugin starts up.

Comment

[QUOTE=
      ZWave2.db is an SQLite database file. It's not useful for restoring to a controller. It's apparent use is to cache Z-Wave device data.
      [/QUOTE]

That's what I was wondering about. So, is there a reliable way to automate the backup of the data held in flash memory on the Z-Wave daughter board for an HS3 and HS4 system?

Comment

Before HST added automated backup upon node inclusion/removal, I developed an external script that will perform a backup. It can be triggered from an HS event.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...-backup-script

Since backup is now automated, there's not much utility in this. I run it weekly nevertheless.

Note, doesn't work if running the v4 plugin.

Comment

Ok got it. Thanks. I didn't realize that the auto backup of the Z-Wave controller was built into HS3. So, if I have to replace the ZNet I can use the restore function in ZWave Controller menu.

Comment

Working...
          X